View Single Post
Old 2008-07-13, 01:16   Link #3
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Chinese, 21, and 5'5 125lb here ;O

Anyways, some tips for you.

If you're going to do cardio AND weight training, do HIIT. High intensity interval training. There's a ton of info on it everywhere, so I won't bother explaining it much. Basically, just do 10-15 minutes of cardio, but do it at different intensities. If you're on a treadmill, do 50 seconds of jogging, then 10 seconds of high-angle, high-speed running, then repeat for the rest of the duration. Since you say you're weight training (or rather, well... no you didn't, but I'll assume you are), this is important as to not lose muscle. Well, not lose TOO much muscle, since ALL cardio results in muscle loss--including doing 100 crunches, or something silly like that.

Unfortunately, to get in shape, the easiest and hardest thing to do is to change your diet. If you're on a budget for food, that's still not an excuse to eat poorly. In bodybuilding we have a saying that goes "75% of bodybuilding is diet". You are what you eat, quite literally.

No
More
McDonald's!

Keep your soda--that's fine, there's not much fat in it. Here's a diet I would suggest for you:

Breakfast:
1-2 egg whites (skip the yolks--that's about 10g of fat or so)
1 cup oatmeal

Morning snack:
4 oz. low-fat cottage cheese with crushed pineapple

Lunch:
4 oz. chicken breast or 2 cans tuna or 4 oz. sliced turkey
Wheat bread
Some fruit

Afternoon snack:
Fruit <3

Dinner:
Same as lunch, but add some salad in there too

This comes out to a bit less than 1500 Calories, while staying high on carbs and protein and low on fats. It should be conducive to your weightlifting as well.

As far as increasing your base metabolism, I would suggest getting a bit more serious about weightlifting. Unlike cardio, which only burns calories as you work, lifting results in continual burns even after you go home. It's not THAT bi g of an increase, but it may end up meaning your body doesn't feel the negative effects of a candy bar here or there =P

The benefits of lifting are endless though, and if you need tips or a good workout designed for your work schedule, feel free to PM me for a push in the right direction.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote