View Single Post
Old 2004-08-07, 23:05   Link #212
The Yellow Dwarf

1. Rurouni Kenshin 1st OVA. Dark and gory, but at the same time a very warm and touching tale about love and hate, peace and violence.

2. FLCL. A slightly disjointed narrative sprinkled with a lot of strange comedic antics from a cast of goofy characters, but I still consider it one of the best coming-of-age tale told in anime.

3. Fruits Basket. In comparison to the lackluster manga, the anime is much more subtle, much more touching, and much more coherent as a consistant narrative with a key focus on human relations and the portrayal of kindness and honesty in people.

4. Uchuu no Stellvia. For a kiddy-ish-looking anime, this anime sure packs a punch. Tons of spaceship action, comedy, a touch of romance and the guts to to explore themes that are not kiddy-ish. This anime is fun without fluff. It's also one of the most optimistic anime I've seen in a while.

5. Voice of a Distant Star & She and Her Cat. This anime (or two) doesn't compare too well to the four listed above, but I pushed it up a couple notches for being evocative, concise, and very personal (and knocked NGEvangelion from its spot here). I like She and Her Cat just a tiny bit more, for its brisk pace, sensuousness and a very distinctly Asian sensibility. But of course, with the combined length of a mere 1 hour or so, these two do seem to lack depth.
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote