Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2003-12-13, 17:58   Link #32
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Well... ^^;;
I'm a girl, and I'd like to visit Japan one day. My friend is going to live there, and we're going to visit him one day or another ... So I need to prepare myself. I really don't have an idealized idea of how Japan is.. On the contrary.. <_<;;; I'm a bit afraid of going because of what a lot of people told me.

I really don't know what type of image foreign women have in Japan. ^^;; Well, I'm Canadian, I look a lot younger than my age.. And I have blue eyes.. I don't have big lips or blonde hair or big boobs like Japanese people might expect of Caucasians.. x_x A lot of people think I'm from Europe for some reason too. Which is another thing I'm wondering about ... I went to a lot of websites about Japan, and a lot of Japanese people seem to think that Americans are fat and have a bad temper or something ... X_X [ there was a thread about Americans in the forums.. ] I don't know if it's a rumor though ..

Everyone tells me that Japanese people dislike foreign people.. Which is why I'm kind of scared. I don't really believe that, but it's true that Americans have a.. weird image in anime. ^^;; A lot of guys I've heard about who went to Japan.. Instantly found a girlfriend. So I thought they were sort of popular.. But a lot of them were treated differently because they were American.. And a lot of them seemed to say that they kind of made fun of Americans in Japan. @_@ Is that true?

Another problem is about my interest in anime and video games. I always hear how "otakus" have a really bad image in Japan, specially .. American ones. I always hear how Japanese people think it's weird for a Caucasian person to like some things about Japanese culture.. ^_^;; Also, I dress in a way that's very inspired by Japanese street fashion. I'm not a Japanese wannabe.. I don't really like Japanese food or Japanese music anyway. But I'm afraid I'll be labeled as one and that people will just think I'm a freak and everything..

What do you guys think?
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote