View Single Post
Old 2012-06-04, 23:01   Link #76
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Nowadays, here in Vancouver, you best just be like Korean, eat korean and listen to Korean.
Welcome to the Hallyu phenomenon, and here it even has its own cable TV channel called TVn... but thank goodness, there's RED Channel (next best thing since WOWOW) to offset the wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Genji-chan: Local airing TV is trying to be updated as much. I think Dinosaur King, as is Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds, is recent anime as well compared to Sailormoon (which is actually re-dubbed) and others which are shown nowadays.

And HERO TV is surprisingly updated with their premieres of Hanasaku Iroha, Shiki and Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori.
Local TV, as always, has a tendency to concentrate on the lowest common denominator: live-action drama earns much more for the stations. Often anime is treated more as a convenient cut-up replayable filler, to make way for such shows.

As for Hero TV, although I'm happy they've selected titles that otherwise couldn't be shown elsewhere in SEA (the best I've seen was Utena at full throttle), I'm a bit worried about where it's heading to because of sketchy management, scheduling delays and acquisition of titles (unlike its more successful brethren, especially MYX, and its erstwhile global rival AnimAXE).

@Ontopic: if there's anything else about the scene, most of us Filipino fans are largely casual viewers hooked to very popular franchises but rarely buy the merchandise; we go mostly online in computer shops to get our daily fix (again, no thanks to the broadcasters' LCD tendencies).

Local cosplay is sometimes marred by infighting and/or mudslinging (no frigging thanks to the so-called "crab mentality"), and is in threat of being turned into a beauty pageant rather than a genuine get-together sans the politics, elitism and the nitpicking.

Here, I treat anime, manga and j-pop as samizdat, because the household are full of Americanized denizens (they watch US TV like crazy, rarely watching local -- Tagalog -- programming) who look at my interests as being "childish".

Last edited by sa547; 2012-06-05 at 00:26.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote