View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 09:46   Link #288
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Since I've been writing and planning out my own forgery fanfic, I've had extra appreciation for the work that's gone into the Umineko gameboards and fan games. Planning these things is hard! And I haven't even got started on the programming for the fan game, which should be the hardest thing.

I'm at the stage where I know the shape of the story as a whole, and have the main tricks of the twilights worked out. I have my detective and my bag of tricks to play on the hopeful one-day audience. My problem is that along the evolution of the story, I've realised that my culprit's motive is just not good enough the way it is now. I can't proceed with the story in this state. Sigh. But it's interesting to go through this process: I have to go back and change the story so that the motive makes sense, but that has big ramifications for the plot as a whole.

Another thing which is fun for planning out a forgery story is in working out which characters to have in the early Twilights. Whoever's left has a bigger role and more of an opportunity to shape the story and give clues. I'm enjoying working out the pros and cons of letting each character past the Twilight. Roulette choosing at random? Pfft, not a chance. I've got to say, I LOVE the dual fantasy-reality thing. It's great.

But since I haven't got any of the programming done yet, to hurry myself along I'll post a rough and largely spoiler-free synopsis of the plot.

Working title: Shadow of the Golden Witch.
I've been using this title for months in my notes on my computer, but I have noticed recently that someone's started a game on the Seacats board using the same title. So I might end up changing this. On the other hand I'm quite attached to this title and may keep it nonetheless.

Plot: The evil spirits of Akujishima have been angered by Beatrice's tales and the way they have overshadowed the island. Creating their own gameboard, they invite a player who truly believed in Beatrice's final magic to be their opponent, and set out to destroy every element of the witch, going behind the scenes to show her as she is. This is the "true story" of Rokkenjima, and of course, the evil spirits claim to be the true culprits behind the mass murder incident...
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote