Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-09, 21:24   Link #474
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Bacon has a purpose on meatloaf besides flavor--it keeps the meatloaf moist from the top down. Without bacon, meatloaf usually ends up very dry on top.
Well then, I suppose I could put bacon on it and just eat it seperately. I thought the purpose of it was to combine some bacon with forkfuls of meatloaf, and not wanting to do that, I just didn't see the point of including it in the dish. But keeping the top moister is desirable, so I'd add the bacon.

Does it impart a significant amount of its flavor onto the meatloaf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmos View Post
I had a burger with roasted potatoes for dinner. My burger was made up of pan fried medium well beef patty, removed then sauteed chopped onions & sliced mushrooms in same pan, fried egg over easy in another pan, chipotle mayo spread on a toasted potato bun. Roasted potatoes was just salt, pepper, olive oil in toaster oven. Have no pics, no camera atm.

Bacon is too expensive for me right now, $4 a pound or 12 ounces when it's on sale.
Ever check your meat department for bacon slices you can purchase individually? My grocery store will let you buy bacon by the slice. If you can find a grocery store that does that, you could buy ingredients for a burger and then just buy 2 or 3 slices for a burger for very cheap.