View Single Post
Old 2012-12-07, 12:11   Link #5208
homaster
inFORM Decisions

What do you think is the best selling point of Fairy Tail?
Title said it all, to be more exact, what makes you want to keep reading this manga

Note: I'm posting my opinions about the positive and negative points, so don't get mad reading it

1. The Setting/The World/The Theme
A world where magic is the main source of power, and it can even be bought or sold. The age seems to be mixed between classic and modern.
Just a twist of a regular fantasy rpg world, used in many manga, and not really unique for me.

2. The Story/The Plot
A team of mage going to mission when somehow they got involved in bigger action including personal problem or guild war. But there are no really main goal like "pirate king" or "hokage", so the story usually going nowhere. Although lately there is a bit foreshadowing of main villain like Zeref and Acnologia, too many minor plot making the story still seems really slow

3. The Characters
Most characters in the beginning are unique and a bit too unreal (building-destroyer, stripper, etc) and people likes to see them. But because of this unique persona, it's hard to change them and some become weird if they got too much changes so mashima mostly makes them just the same from the beginning until now, and most old readers find them become a bit boring. Most new characters usually are not as unique as the beginning and some feels just an upgraded copy of them.

4. The Fighting/The Action
Most characters have their own unique style, but most of their moves feel repetitive after a while since they look basically the same. And some power-up becoming ridiculous because mashima seems to running out of ideas (eating lightning, hey). And he seems to be lazy to make chapters when they training and get straight to the main plot, so readers mostly think Natsu from before is still the same in the after.
Some battles can get heat and emotional, while some becoming comedy and TROLLING. Even serious battle feels like trolling because mashima repeating the same pattern

5. The Comedy
Many comedy makes FT feels lighter compared to other shonen manga and enjoyable. But too much comedy without dark side makes it sometimes boring and too predictable

6. The Drama/Tragedy
Some of characters flashback is a "bit" tragic, but when it ends it's just happily ever after with their guild. The guild sometimes get sad moment, but the way they "overcome anything with friendship" also becoming more ridiculous...

7. The Fanservice
okay, i found this manga got more fanservice compared to other usual shonen manga. Most of the girl are young, cute and big boobs (and i'm getting bored of it). And mashima sometimes inserted comedic fanservice inside serious fight.
Heck, even most of new chapters lately are fanservice.

8. Others.. (explain)

Last edited by homaster; 2013-01-11 at 03:47.
homaster is offline   Reply With Quote