Thread: Ubuntu Linux
View Single Post
Old 2007-12-30, 13:03   Link #579
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
I see... but I don't find how hard it is to see what people usually recommend... For example:
Raster Image Editor: GIMP
Vector Image Editor: Inkscape
3D Animator: Blender
Publisher: Scribus
Audio Player: usually Amarok , then XMMS and Exaile (sad to say but I don't use any of the advance feature... basically, only playing musics)
Audio Editor: Audacity (don't search for audio editor a lot so I don't know about others)
Video Player: (S)mplayer, VLC (I'm sure a lot less would use VLC if there are mkv containers and softsub outside the anime world)
Video Editor: Cinelerra

Well... basically what I do anyway, get what most people recommend, and only try out others when the mood strikes.
That sort of attitude is what makes us the types of people who are considered to be highly skilled with computers. We know about software, we hear about it, we're not afraid to try it. While downloading and installing random software gets plenty of Windows users in trouble, there are also plenty of users who are terribly afraid of installing anything, including security updates. Many people also have no idea what to download, or where to find it. Does it sound ridiculous?

My father, a Mac user for about 1-2 years longer than I've been using computers, desperately wanted my help when we were switching ADSL providers. I did hardware, and then was about to leave him when he hit a snag: he had to configure his email client to use the new service's servers. He asked me what the servers were - how on earth should I know off the top of my head? Since he had his computer right there I told him to Google it. He opened Google and asked me what he should type. A seasoned computer was lost with simply finding the server names. I gave him the terms (server provider name, SMPT, server address) and it was the first hit. I always wondered how there were such thick books on "How to Use Google" and why they were so popular, but after that I suppose it's not quite surprising.

The point is, we take it for granted. Plenty of people want to just get a computer and have everything there, ready to work. No searching for software, no searching for recommendations, no trying things out - just have it all there and run with it. In this respect I think Mac OS is really doing an excellent job, as there's a very wide variety of software to meet many needs that comes with the system.

Quote:
Speaking of which, anyone knows if there are any drawback for burning an OS iso on a CD-RW disc? The reason why I'm asking this is because (long, long ago, on the distance planet, although I probably exaggerate) I've read somewhere that it's not preferable... On the other hand... I'm not sure if I would like to install another one since I'm kinda fine with my desktop setup right now, and it's a pain to redo it again. @_@
There are two reasons why CDRW discs aren't as good. The first is that it can be erased. Your OS disc can be critical in times of system problems, and you really don't want to risk it that you or someone else found it and erased it, and used it for something else.

A second reason is that I've heard that CDRW's don't last as long as CDR's. I'm not sure if that was just a rumor, though. If it is true, the time scale is probably years, so it's probably an issue that isn't terribly important, either. The first issue has greater implications.