View Single Post
Old 2011-08-05, 20:25   Link #23629
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
It doesn't need to have a Gamemaster. It has a Reader, which is much harder to deal with because you have to watch out for their mistakes and bad assumptions. Bern even says in EP8 that there are countless ways for a reader to give false information without telling outright lies.
So what do we call Maria being 'moved' by Bernkastel after Will asked about Mariage Sorciere, and he comments that she wants him to keep on topic?

That's definitely not reading, since it's an altering of the 'text', not an interpretation. What else do we call it but some form of Gamemastering?

Quote:
Well basically she only presented the pieces and let Will (the reasonable and experienced mystery reader) play with it. It was her idea that he should come to the gruesome conclusion himself because that's what she wants everybody to believe...it's the guts that most of the readers wanted to rip out of the story.
She never lied, she even said in EP7 about her truth that Ange didn't even let her finish that sentence and let it be...but the only thing she corrected in EP8 was that the truth doesn't limit itself to that which she saw in EP7. For me that implied very much that we simply saw a limited perspective of the events, but it's not THE truth. It's like saying "The Nazis were murderers"...of course it's true, but it's only a facette of THE truth.
My interpretation is that Bernkastel simply ran a show (regardless of whether or not it was true), and since there was no interaction and thus no game, there was no "Gamemaster." She was only showing a movie.

Quote:
Please read my sentence again...I basically said that Tôya's image of Beatrice (EP1-4/5) and the Beatrice that was dragged out of Yasu's thoughts (EP7) were totally contrastive.
"The Beatrice of EP7's Tea Party" would be the Beatrice that the adults met in the show Bernkastel showed Ange and Lion.

Quote:
I still think that theory is kind of weak and doesn't really explain why she is covering for that person when in fact all she wants is to be with one of the people who care for her. If she actually wanted to stop a tragedy she could have just thrown the Winchesters into the ocean or something like that.
It also doesn't really explain Eva-survival over the survival of other people...because why should she tell Eva of all people?
George uber-culprit could explain that, but it would on the other hand not explain why she would help him if she was actually still drawn to Battler.

I think many things don't really add up if she was actually covering for somebody on the island from the start.
The theory has flaws I admit, but it fits better, in my honest opinion. Culprit X could've pressured her with "If you do something to stop me, I'll kill Battler with my own bare hands" or something, I don't know.

The main idea is that regardless of what she actually could have done, Yasu is convinced that she can't do anything and should leave it up to fate; which is consistent with her character.

Quote:
I don't really know why you are so hellbent on MPD. Why does it have to be MPD in order to be torn between two radically different positions. She is just so pained and disturbed that she doesn't know which path is the best, to let it all go to hell, to go woth George whom she loves now, to go with Jessica who is in love with her, to go to Battler who maybe never love her. To make it all stop by pushing a button is the easiest out of those...especially if you carry some secrets that may ruin those futures anyway. "Hey George/Jessica/Battler, I'm your aunt who was created in an incestuous affair between your grandpa and his lover's daughter...and my genitals were mutilated when your aunt/mom threw me off a cliff as a baby..." is not really something that promises a very endearing future.
I would probably be leaning towards flicking the switch as well...
That's fine. However, phrasing things in the form of different aspects of her self autonomously working against herself is problematic. Yasu is indecisive, not 100% dedicated to three different goals, if that makes sense.

Quote:
But I wouldn't limit her heart to Beatrice. Her heart are Shannon and Kanon just as much...just that they are different pathes she could choose.
You're right. I didn't phrase that satisfactorily. What I should say is that it's more like Beatrice is the closest to Yasu's own self-image. Of the three, it's the one "most close to home" (possibly because it's the one that holds her most honest romantic feelings).

Quote:
It all comes back to this. You just can't accept that she really was going to kill people.

We already discussed this in ep VII thread over and over. Yes, she was going to kill people if the roulette said so. Is it crazy? Yes. But you need to place things into a fucking CONTEXT.

It's not like Yasu eats babies at night. Although our opinions diverge on some things, haguruma explained in the post above why she's so fucked up and conflicted. (but then again, we already discusses this before)

Also, in the end she didn't even kill people. Of course, even if she was PLANNING to follow the roulette she didn't carry out the murders and ended up covering for the craaaazy Ushiromiya.
Then she became a witch and meet Meta-Battler... and the rest is history. Is it to hard to understand why is she so pitiable?

Of course if everything is a story Tohya wrote, Meta-Beatrice isn't even a proper character, Shkanontrice died like a bitch and amnesia Battler ended up writing her dialogs.
You're right, we need to place things in context.

A context that includes that this person is too cowardly, unsure of herself, and indecisive to make a phonecall, write a letter, or even speak her mind. How is she going to kill eighteen fucking people, wipe the blood off, and walk back into a room with a smile on her face as she feigns innocence?

The problem is no one can provide an answer to this, and Ryukishi didn't even fucking bother. So one way or another we have a goddamn plothole. The Martyr theory atleast keeps in mind every passage of the text instead of ignoring parts of it.

Quote:
Do you have a master in psychology? But even if you do, who cares?

Quoting R07 ""the story of how one girl, through love and madness, was able to imagine an incident on this scale." That's all.
Funny you should say that, I do have a masters in psychology. But that's kind of irrelevant because even a high school student should be able to see that Ryukishi is full of shit.

The funny thing is that quote does nothing to support your position anymore than it does mine. Of course Yasu "IMAGINED" this huge incident! She wrote her message bottles as a confession, warning, and coverup for the horrible crime that George commited and she felt guilty for not being able to stop. loliwin.

Quote:
Well yes, magical DID is actually kinda shitty, but hopefully he was justing being cryptic... Clair in ep VII definitely doesn't act as a person with DID, she's fully conscious of her world and roles. The only thing that suggested DID was the love transfer. (which by the way, always puzzled me as a plot device to have Beato fall in love with Battler)
The Love Transfer was basically a restructuring of personas. She's roleplaying the characters, so she's rewriting the scripts. Internally, nothing is changing.

But otherwise, I agree. Yasu is not written as if she has any sort of DID, but Ryukishi seems to insinuate that he thinks she does, which means he's a fucking shitty writer not just because he's using the condition wrong but because his Word of God doesn't match his fiction.

That would be like if JK Rowling's "Dumbledore is Gay" quote ran counter to a scene in Harry Potter where Dumbledore was having a wild sex-and-cocaine party with seven big-breasted witch hookers.

Quote:
I think nobody's arguing about that point...which is something I don't know if AT knows that or not.
I know it; doesn't mean I like that people are making excuses for Ryukishi or are trying to justify me as a butthurt snob who should go write his own Umineko.