View Single Post
Old 2012-05-11, 11:46   Link #28751
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saorin View Post
1.: I'm not sure why it would disregard 6 Episodes oO I might actually understand if you said 4, but okay. Anyhow, I wouldn't agree that it disregarded them. It might rather be "turned around" and the Eps about Yasu were not there to make a point for Shkanontrice but rather against it while still having the appearance of being a confirmation. As it's never outright stated that Yasu made up/became/whathever'd Shannon (oh well, what IS after all? ), Yasu might as well have another origin than believed (an illusion her/himself of another person, just for example).
If half of Umineko consisted of destroying a 'fanmade' theory, it would be very bad writing. For example the whole "love duel" would be just a mislead... no thanks. But you have a point with shkanontrice being weak. But in my opinion the "rosa-culprit-solution" is even worse. Shkanontrice at least was hinted at enough for people to find the solution by EP2.

Quote:
Also, Ep 7 was surprisingly straightforward for Ryu's style, and he said so often he wouldn't just "reveal" the truth so it would be easy to see - but then Ep7 was kinda stating it, it could be seen even if you hadn't thought about Shkanon before. So that was merely a "hint" and a "puzzle"?
It's still screaming "fishy!" to me.
EP7 only gave the answers for "whodunnit" straightforward. The "howdunnit" and escpacially the "whydunnit" were answered in riddles, or in some parts not even addressed at all. And that was only about the "games". Aside from that, even today we have not much information regarding R-Prime.

Quote:
5.: Well, this doesn't address that "killing personalities", especially without a proper reason do to so in that particular situation is still stupid! I'm still wondering how Yasu even went about that. "Oh, you need to die now *plop*"? If it was at least triggered by something persona-related, whatever, e.g. rejection from Jessica, then I would at least see a connection...
I think the message bottles are supposed to be a message to Battler. Virgilia called them a "love letter" to him. So I think the mysteries are just the clothes of the real message. But here again comes the problem of "not enough information". We don't know when those message bottles were written, when thrown into the sea (if at all), and we still don't know if there are 2, 3 or a completly different number of survivors of the Rokkenjima incident. But regarding the "killing personalities", we must understand the author of these stories. EP7 gave us some info about the antagonist of the stories, about "PieceYasu" but not about "PrimeYasu". We know close to nothing about the prime world. And that is why these "dying personalities", just as you said, seem ridiculous. We just cannot understand the author's (PrimeYasu's) reason to include such a thing. It also makes harder to figure it out because one would think "nah that can't be, it just sounds too ridiculous".

But still i would prefer the inworld solution to EP6's "Kanon does not exist in the guestroom" to be "a personality died, but the body still exists inside the room", instead of "meh he somehow died in the closet, i refuse to explain how"

But overall I do have to agree with you that "shkanontrice" overall was a lame plot device and there could have been other ways.

Quote:
Even if I accepted Shkanontrice, all the Eps make the impression of there being a 2nd culprit (killings after the epitaph was soved, killings that differed greatly from the ritual killings or closed room killings), so either way I'd have to think there was someone capable of and willing to kill many - of course that is just my take on the whole thing.
You have a point here. This shows again that we have not enough information regarding the real events.

Quote:
Concerning motives, I'd actually even think the exact other way : of the Ushiromiyas, almost everyone had SOME kind of motive implied for them, at least in the case of George it was even stated he'd be killing others, including his parents.
Ok, but give me at least 1 good motive for anyone to kill Gohda, aside from "he knows too much, I must shut his mouth forever" or "He sometimes was unfriendly toward me".

Quote:
I also see the point with the message bottles to which I mostly agree (though I have to say I think it had little to do with my original issue here, but okay), though I can and do still believe that they ought to have a "basic common structure", also from a mystery point of view, or else, I do find them rather pointless.
As I said, they are probably supposed to be a message to Battler with the mysteries as their "clothes". But again: not enough information.

I sometimes have a hard time to state my point, so if you didn't understand something just ask me about it.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote