View Single Post
Old 2012-10-12, 09:53   Link #281
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
While I can sympathize with the many complaints this series seems to be getting, I personally am finding it a very engaging, immersive, and rewarding watch.

For me, the slow and careful buildup is making this narrative much more enriching and fulfilling to sort of dig my teeth into. Admittedly, it can seem slow when watched in separate 20-something minute chunks. In fact, what it's making me think of so far is an excellent animated movie (or movie series) that's been sliced into a bunch of anime episodes to air on TV. A part of the reason for this is the thick and powerful soundtrack which really does sound like something I'd expect to hear in a movie theater more than on a TV screen.

But this world has truly made me believe in it, which is impressive given the weirdness that is going on.

And I like the sharp contrast between our two lead male protagonists: One of them driven entirely by a thirst for revenge, and even smirking constantly like he was playing the villain. The other one displaying just the slightest touch of sadness over the metallic death plague, while thinking a bit more "big picture" and carefully and shrewdly taking everything in while trying to decide what to do next.

Neither is exactly your conventional anime male protagonist, but both contain some elements of him. And both are somehow more realistic for it. That helps a lot in the overall believability of this anime's fictional world.

All of the above being said, I hope that we do "move over to the next town/city" or something like that next episode. I think that this "first setting" has been played out as well as it can be, and it might be time to shift gears a bit.