View Single Post
Old 2012-01-09, 23:40   Link #201
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Wow ... very effective with the mood, the animation, the VA'ing and the music ... very, very effective. Just very well done, downright eerie and well told story. At least so far.

I am impressed. And I generally do not like "horror" type stories. 8 of 10 vote for me for this ep. Very well done without being "artsy" or "pretentious".

This one looks like a keeper for now.

I couldn't agree more with everything that you wrote. I'm totally on the same page with you on everything here, except I'd rate the episode 9/10 (but then I'm an easier rater than many ).

Like yourself, I'm generally not into "horror" type stories, but this anime does it with such intrigue, mystery, style, and class, that I just can't help but to love it.

Another is thus far delivering everything I could possibly have hoped for from this anime given how it promoted itself.

Of the Winter 2012 anime premiers I've watched so far (and there's now a few of them), this is my favorite.

A couple notes:

1. Loved how the "transfer student" trope was somewhat subverted here. We had actual normal conversations where the transfer student in question addresses each other student in turn. The irony here is that this subversion gives us normalcy which in turn likely masks some horrible secrets.

2. I'm pleased with how this is horror/mystery played straight. Ookami Kakushi mixed in a lot of harem hijinks and the like, which I felt often caused that anime to fail to have an effective horror/mystery atmosphere. Another thankfully takes the opposite approach. By keeping dialogue and character interactions very "down to Earth" overall, Another makes the creepier parts stand out more against the backdrop of that normalcy.