View Single Post
Old 2010-02-18, 23:07   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
This is at least 90% manga related, so I figured I'd throw it out there to see what others were thinking, but...

As I had been exploring the net for fan fiction (which I generally like because these people try to reflect the nature and personality of the characters and tend create good material and take stories in a direction that has/had not yet been explored or maybe had not yet been explored to such a degress that they tied up loose ends), I stumbled upon the dozin style.

I was not familiar with this particular form of story coneyance, since I have never really gotten into a particular manga, anime, etc. Sooooooo, I downloaded scans of them and was shocked as to how all the stories I opened spiraled into ummmm... a shallow, graphic, physical encounter, which was rather degrading to Hol(r)o. Prior to this, I was unaware that the dozin typically followed this format.

I don't think myself prudish, but I really, really, really did not like seeing Hol(r)o drawn and written into such a situation whether or not it was even remotely consentual. Obviously, the solution is for me to simply follow the canonical manga and avoid these , but I guess I just really don't like seeing a character I love being depicted in this way.

I am aware that the arguement could be made that I have imposed onto her a framework of behavior and morality that I follow and consider desirable, and may not represent the value system she holds if I spoke with her creator, but...

I have discussed this with other folks recently, but I figured I would mention it for anyone who wanted to share... what say y'all? I really don't mean for this to become heated, so if this is determined to be even a touchy subject, I won't be upset if someone wiser and/or more familiar and in charge of the forum shuts this line of discussion down as I do not want to be a source of conflict and woe for others here.
Saw your PM just now.. sorry about not answering.

Explicit doujinshi is endemic to almost every series in existence - Spice&Wolf is no exception. It doesn't matter HOW innocent the source material is - someone has done a XXX fan manga of it. In fact... more than a few manga artists have done such doujinshi of other works themselves - which results in some quality work (XXX or not), some of which gets officially published in authorized collections.

I've probably seen the ones you came across and yeah... they were pretty shallow. The authors didn't seem to grasp that some more effort into the premise/storyline would increase the authenticity and ergo the eroticism.

I *will* say that, on average, japanese doujinshi does a better job of keeping characters IN character (unlike a lot of Western fan fiction I come across for series like Star Trek or whatever).... but.

But doujinshi are most definitely NOT canon... either they're wish-fantasies... or perhaps speculation about those "between scenes" moments. A lot of them are pretty immature or amateurish.

Forum rules don't forbid discussion of doujinshi... but links to unlicensed material must pass "PG-13" requirements to keep AS marginally safe for all ages (haha... yeah, depends on the clues of the parents).
As usual, a license rights holder may request material be taken down (though I've not seen any anime/manga rights-holders go after fan art, image snaps, wallpapers, etc yet). The final say is up to the OWNER of the AS site - so if you have doubts about a specific link, I'd say ask a mod about it.

Edit: oh and you don't have to worry about the Holo/Horo thing...
If the romaji fight is that bothersome just type ホロ.