View Single Post
Old 2012-07-24, 17:20   Link #5010
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
Rather than the NCAA, I'd prefer that the US Department of Education or something of the like takes action, since this is not really a case about just football. Child rape and such crime are matters that the court and the government take, not organisations such as NCAA, since this is past issues such with steroids and money, etc.
Boom. Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
NCAA is not a court of law, it doesn't not require a beyond-a-reasonable-doubt standard.

That said, to anyone who believes Paterno was not guilty... I've got some bridges I'd like to sell too
You are correct; the NCAA has no beyond a reasonable doubt standard. That wasn't my point, though. No court, civil or criminal, has made any ruling on people other than Sandusky. The only official thing that describes the actions of other people in detail is a Grand Jury presentment, which is, by nature, a very biased document. The only other thing speaking to peoples' actions is the Freeh Report, which would never, ever hold up in a court of law. The latter is to what I was referring before. And the NCAA took the Freeh Report as gospel in making their decision. The Freeh Report is damaging, no question, but it is VERY suspect in its precision. Hence, my comment that it would be torn to shreds in a court of law. While the NCAA doesn't have to consider the evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, if they indicate that they want the justice system to take its course, they shouldn't turn around and take a very questionable report as the gospel.

As for whether Paterno was guilty, actually, you have no idea, nor do I. The justice system will never be able to determine his guilt since he is, in fact, deceased. The facts out there certainly could lead most to believe that Paterno was involved in a cover-up, but the facts are hardly conclusive. Like I said before, I do actually believe Joe did some bad stuff and deserved to be fired. I guess that blows right by you, though.
Quote:
I'd say lack of institutional control is good enough for the rest of of us.
Except LOIC does not cover what happened at Penn State. Everyone involved with sports law can tell you that.
Quote:
That's just a strawman and you know it. Penn State didn't cover for Sandusky for the lulz, it covered for Sandusky in order to protect its football program. And again, NCAA is not a government entity nor does is it a court of law, it doesn't need to operate within the same standard.
You know enough to know that the NCAA is not a government entity, but apparently you don't know much else about it.
Quote:
You just did again. The failure to see this really shows your bias here. You're saying that schools that breaks even some simple NCAA rules should receive a harsher punishment than Penn State simply because there was no specific statues in NCAA rules about covering up for child rapists
Did you even read what you typed? Apparently, you do realize that the NCAA has no rules by which it could punish Penn State, at least.

And hearing that I'm biased is really funny, because amongst my own fan-base, I am considered a coward and a traitor for actually arguing the outside community point of view.
Quote:
only to the Penn State apologists
I guess you haven't really been watching the news much the last 36 hours, then. There are a lot of people all across the country with 0 affiliation with Penn State who are lambasting the NCAA for overstepping its bounds like this.
Quote:
really? I bet you think OJ didn't do it either
My personal beliefs on innocence and guilt are, quite frankly, irrelevant... just like yours are. I'm only a law student, after all, and I do believe in innocence-until-proven-guilty.
Quote:
Because of Penn State covered up those crimes to protect the football program, NCAA really had little choice but to act, else it risks becoming a irrelevant entity. Penn State should consider itself lucky that the NCAA took these steps, if the DOE were forced to sanction Penn State via the Clery Act, it could be far more devastating.
You really should go talk to the DA here in Pennsylvania and join up. You seem to know an awful lot more about what went on than anyone else. Did you personally observe everything happening? I mean, that's the only way you could draw such strong conclusory remarks about this.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2012-07-24 at 17:35.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote