View Single Post
Old 2012-07-30, 00:10   Link #5014
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Kool-aid drinkers from Happy Valley make me sick. Perhaps that should get its own thread.

Anyways, let's talk about something else, since it's apparent everyone is just talking past each other, and has made this thread far too focused on one team.

1) Who actually believes the Broncos are Super Bowl bound? I'm not sure how I'd live with myself if my job was a sports journalist, and it revolved around fabricating as much hype as I could, so either:

a) I'm seen as a genius when it actually happens
b) When the hype inevitably fails, I have plenty of fodder to write about as I eviscerate those I hyped up

I'm sorry. The Bronco's record last year was a fluke. They were a horrible, horrible team, and I know there are those who are going to say, "look at how the Colts were exposed without Manning" as evidence that one player really can magically turn things around, but that's just too simplistic purely because it makes a good sound-bite. If I was Denver, I'd be happy just to make it to the playoffs. I mean, I am not one of those who have serious doubts about Peyton Manning. But, I do remember how awful pretty much every aspect of this Denver team was last year, and think the team used up its luck quotient for the next hundred years with Tebow's wins last year.
I would be extremely surprised if they go anywhere beyond the 2nd round of playoff. I think Peyton is the best quarterback of this generation whose impact on a team is without question, but even with a healthy Peyton, he still has to get that offense in the same page. I don't think Broncos have the personnel in offense to bring out Peyton's full potential (again, providing he is healthy). It might be a couple of years before Broncos are regarded as threats. It'll be nothing short of a miracle if they even make it to the AFC Championship this year.

Quote:
2) Anyone else think the Bears may surprise everyone and take the NFC North? I may be a Badger, but I'm not a cheesehead (went to Wisc for school, but didn't grow up there), and feel GB has been far worse than their record over their last two years seems to indicate. A whole house of cards that's inevitably going to fall.
As shown in the last season, Cutler will need to stay healthy. All deals are off without him.

Quote:
3) I'm having a hard time seeing the Saints not making the playoffs. I'm sure the last thing the NFL wants is to see them in the Superbowl, but I've always thought coaches are overblown, and am on the side of the fence that this team isn't going to see much-if any-let down just because they've essentially changed coaches this year.
Agreed. This might actually give them an edge, mentally anyway. Most of the talent pool is still there, so I'll try not to act too surprised if they make it to the Post Season and go far.

Quote:
4) Could this year finally be Dallas' in the NFC East? I feel like the Giants got worse over the off-season, and their winning the Super Bowl was from "on any given Sunday, anyone can win", and highly unlikely to repeat. If Vick was anything like he was his first year as a starter with the Eagles, I'd be excited. We didn't see that at all last year though, which puts the burden of proof on his shoulders (don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the dynamic Vick of 2010 again; but he's only getting older). I don't buy into the RG3 hype at all, and don't think the Redskins are going to be remotely relevant, which almost makes this division Dallas' by default this year?
The better question would be if this is the year of the "Dream Team?" Despite their early season folly, they were looking very very dangerous in the last remaining 4 games and almost snuck in to the post season if Giants had lost both of the last two games.

Quote:
5) Is San Fran going to have an easier or harder path to the playoffs this year? I feel like this would have been the instant Super Bowl favorite if Peyton Manning had signed with them, as from my perspective the one thing they are really missing is a good quarterback (as opposed to Denver, which is missing just about everything). I don't think Arizona is going anywhere with Kolb, the Seahawks are still rebuilding (though one has to wonder how much longer they're going to give Pete Carroll on that front), and the Rams...meh.
That's a very dangerous team once again. They've also managed to win a lot of close games last year, so to play the devil's advocate here, it will be interesting to see if they can replicate similar success into those close games. I don't think they will even though they might have a better team offensively this year.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote