View Single Post
Old 2010-02-01, 19:29   Link #37
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Upiro, not a lot of good books (fiction) I'm afraid (or at least none that I'd consider highbrow), but Jeanne Kalogridis' The Borgia Bride was quite enjoyable though felt a little bit bodice-ripperish (I like it a lot nonetheless, lol), if you don't mind that. Gregory Maguire's Mirror, Mirror, a re-telling of Snow White, is set on renaissance Italy with the Borgia siblings as minor (but very important) characters. For non-fiction, there's Sarah Bradford's Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love and Death in Renaissance Italy which is comprehensive and meticulous in the description of the turmoil of the setting's period, it's a fascinating first-hand glimpse though comes off a little bit dry and dull. Christopher Hibbert's The Borgias and Their Enemies is engrossing but doesn't really offer anything new; might be something to read for a beginner.

Girl Fight's a really fun read! A little bit angsty in the beginning (which can also be found in the author's other work G Sensou Heavens Door), okay, no, not really a little bit, but I'm enjoying the art and the development of the volley ball team. Besides, it's not as if we get a whole lot of sports manga that focuses on women's teams.

Will read Katsu next! ^_^

Been reading LW&C's first volume, and I really want to like it, but the episodic nature and dryness of the storytelling frankly baffles me. I still plan to read another volume or so, but was wondering if it gets progressively better overall.

There's Natsume Ono's one-shot Moyashi Fuufu which is a very sweet portrayal of an old married couple. Saraiya Goyou as well is fairly interesting however it's only just started and I'm uncertain if Ono could sustain a well-written historical piece. The scans are available in Ikki's website for free.