View Single Post
Old 2010-08-12, 09:09   Link #33
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Yeah, my favorite game, Valkyria Chronicles, kinda suffered under this spell. However, I simply refuse to believe that gamers hate anime. I'd say about 60% do hate it, though the 40% of us campaign and spread it everywhere we go.

Plus, I think synaesthetic is right, if such a game like Final Fantasy is able to get such renown and stuff, that's saying that some anime (or anime-esque) games are something everyone hates... I'm not believing that. With games like the Persona series and Valkyria Chronicles, which have been getting good reiviews, I think in the end, it's not so much as retailers refusing to have them, I think it's a failure of good advertising and marketing for the games. I'm telling you, I don't believe I've ever seen many commercials based on anime games..."
I think that other factors contributed to VC's poorer performance in the US than in Japan.

I think Japanese gamers are more open to change or combination of styles. VC is pretty "different." Americans don't like change unless it's better graphics.

Are VC's graphics gorgeous? Absolutely hell yes they are. But they're ALSO "different" graphics. I think Americans are inclined to think that VC-style graphics aren't as good as the overly lens-flared graphics of something like God of War. But VC was also a combination of FPS and block-by-block strategy. How messed up is that? Actually, it was awesome, but if you had to describe VC to a typical American gamer without showing them a visual, I'm sure they'd say, "F that."

It's unfortunate that VC didn't do better, but at least it did well enough that VC2 is coming across the pond (but I'm not really holding my breath for VC2... I am extremely, extremely disappointed that it is on PSP and I am extremely, extremely disappointed with the change in setting).

Maybe I'm wrong about American gamers, but I think the above has a lot to do with it.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote