View Single Post
Old 2011-05-18, 09:31   Link #158
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't think it's possible to prove Menma's existence anyway. The rational approach would always be to believe there's a scientific explanation for anything Menma can do, regardless of whether you know it or not.
Poppo can tell Jintan to take up a set of card. Point it away from him, and tell him to ask Menma to read the cards in order

If Menma can't read it, then she shows that she has no ability to perceive, a.k.a Jintan hallucination. But if Memma can read it out and Jintan knowing which card is which without looking, then i will have to ask you about the scientific explanation for that? Psychic?

Quote:
And as we can plainly see in the ending to this episode, Menma doesn't want to have to go through the misery of trying to prove she's there. It's horrifyingly furstrating for her.

And in any case, proving her existence won't solve anything anyway. If they all simply got together just because Menma's ghost is telling them to, that would be forcing the issue. It wouldn't solve anything. The problems are all still there.

And Jinta doesn't want to prove her existence because a part of him still thinks she's a hallucination. He's probably thinking that atleast he's sane enough to realise it. If he starts accepting her as reality and ends up being wrong, that's going to be a massive blow to his sanity.
And ofcourse it may be terrible that Jinta is so depressed all the time, but there are clear reasons for it. After suffering the death of his best friend he also had to endure the more drawn out process of his mum dying all whilst he was still a child. And his dad's incredibly passive approach to parenting hasn't helped matters either. It's no wonder he's a shut in.
Wanna bet? The huge knot of this anime to be untied will be whether Menma really exist or not. And it will solve at least half (if not all) of the issues that we have right now

And running around looking for your hallucination, or eating your hallucination's cake is an crazy act by itself. So i doubt if he hasn't accepted her yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
It's not a 10-year-old mentality to talk about the ghost of a deceased without questioning its existence. On the contrary, adults tend to do it a lot, especially the ones who have lost a close relative.

Talking about the deceased make people do strange things. Why else would people mourn? It's not as if the deceased can hear it, but are you sure? Maybe they can hear it. In either case, you will feel better yourself by talking about it.
The characters of the show are clearly broken by the death of one of their closest friends. Talking about it and pretending the ghost of said person had appeared can ease the pain and bring closure to that chapter.
I'm pretty sure mourning the dead are quite different with having a ghost "haunting" yourself day in day out...

Quote:
There's also no rampaging over Jinta's friends either. I mean, ask yourself. What did they do up till now? Except coming together twice, they really haven't done much together. What did Jinta do up till now? It's not that he's forcing things on the others; he might have been the one who started with it all, but that was episode 2. After that, he got dragged into activities himself because of the others who wanted to fulfill Menma's wish, whatever that might be.

I still think Menma is indeed a hallucination by Jinta, but that doesn't make her presence less real.
It's not what he did, but what he didn't do