View Single Post
Old 2013-02-06, 15:36   Link #63
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Thing is, the DF encyclopedia was something we've known about since the very first chapter. Lucky Roux (the fat guy from Shanks' crew) even showed Luffy a picture of the rubber fruit from that book shortly after the fruit in question was eaten. And that's not to mention that Sanji even said he read the encyclopedia himself at one point (it was during the Thriller Bark arc, when he told Absalom that he knew about the invisibility fruit through that book). So yeah, it's clearly been indicated that the devil fruits were already being thoroughly researched by the time the series began. Perhaps Vegapunk helped speed up the process sure, but those fruits were most definitely already being studied for quite some time.....
Everything has a beginning
I don't deny the existence of the book or information but there has to be studies and observations to create the book. The only way to create such information that I know of is cataloging every fruit that gets eaten to discover its potential. Meaning that some if not all devil fruits had to been owned by previous owners. Even if it is was long ago. A book about Devil fruits don't appear out of thin air. That book would take decades if not centuries to build. The study on what fruit does what would be based on the life span of that user or information taken from research. You need to know what it looks like and what it does to give it is name. If you miss the look or the abilities it contains then how do you know what does what? Vega Punk is the only guy I could see finding alternative way to identify the fruit. But seeing how the WG is decedents of the people who went to war with the ancients, I would not be surprised if the Devil fruit book and the research is older then Vege Punk. If the book showed you the name and the fruit, did it show the abilities too? Black Beard wanted that fruit because of the abilities it had. Did he see the fruit once in action or was it all in the book? Did Thatch find the fruit or kill the guy who had the fruit? The question still stands, who are the previous owners then?

Last edited by grey_1960; 2013-02-06 at 15:50.