Thread: World of Tanks
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-19, 12:47   Link #2934
willx
Nyaaan~~

Ehh, let's not get into winrate here folks, it's a contentious enough item in the WoT official forums without wrangling it into our topic here. Suffice to say, for many of us, if you excluded (for many of us) suicide leveling crappy Tier 4s or trying to learn multiple tanks on multiple lines simultaneously .. many of our global win rates would be much much higher. That said, UTE for example, has demonstrated the ability to be superbly talented with a variety of vehicles which is very impressive, so it's not like global win rate has no use.

Also, I'd add that I've said it before and I'll say it again, 1) communication is key for squad based tactics, 2) what makes you successful as a player may not result in better stats and 3) tactics and strategies will vary with maximizing performance in a pub match vs. being effective in a skirmish or clan wars or company battle.

The current commonly used indicator of skill is efficiency or win4/win6 ratings in addition or combination with win rate. Doing more damage and getting more cap points typically results in victory. It may not always however, as sighted damage, strategic stalling and other factors are not included. Me flying forward to ram an enemy and leaving my charred corpse blocking a bridge doesn't award me any points -- but may induce a win. Me sacrificing myself so that 4 tanks stay behind to shoot at me instead of supporting a front, thus creating local superiority for my teammates does not factor into my stats. I could go on, but I won't, let's just say it's all very much more complicated than it might seem at first glance.

EDIT: I'd also add I've seen HAVOK, -G- and other top tier clan members die in the first few minutes of a game trying to get something started and failing. Sometimes to rally the troops you have to lead from the front .. sometimes your troops either ignore you, abandon you, pick another leader or shoot you in the back..