View Single Post
Old 2007-06-17, 02:05   Link #124
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Take for example, Matsuri. What really bugs me is, how did she get to know the original Yorito in the first place, and how did she come to love him? By original Yorito, I mean the one from the feudal era; while we've got plenty of Matsuri-Yorito interaction in the present, we don't really see much of their feudal-era relationship, which leaves a gaping big hole as to Matsuri's motivations for falling for the present Yorito. There's still quite a bit more about Matsuri that we should know, and at this point in time, it's already kind of late for this. If they leave this out, that's a big minus.
While the story of how their past relationship came to be remains untold, i don't see that as anything too important. Matsuri herself says that it is the present Yorito she loves, and she loves him for who he is, not because of what he used to be. According to her she has even forgotten the past Yorito (Ok, i didn't buy that even for a second ).

Overall it is not hard to imagine how she came to love the past Yorito - he, probably, was the only (or one of the very very few) people who wasn't turned away (scared) of what she actually was, and treated her like a normal human being, which possibly was a first for her. Not very surprising she fell for the guy

The reason seems pretty much the same this time around (Ignoring the fact that "logic" doesn't really apply to love and feelings anyway). But whether Matsuri does remember the past Yorito or not, i agree with her that it is not important - it is the present that matters. (Looks like she finally chose to let go of the past ... lets see how this will affect things in the future ).

I agree on the notion that Sola is lacking in the character depth department and we don't know that much about them beyond the surface level, which is indeed a flaw this late in to the series.

That aside, this fact only seems to bother me when i sit down and try to analyze the situation, not while actually watching the episode itself. When i rate a show i use my enjoyment of it as the main reference point, not a through technical analysis of it. While the later affects my rating as well, it is the former that is far more important to me. In the case of Sola, i am enjoying it immensely for whatever reasons, so i am willing to turn a blind eye to a few technical glitches here and there.

After all - i am watching the anime for enjoyment, not to see how many technical nitpicks i can come across, and thus i base my opinion about the show on the enjoyment factor, which happens to be rather high for Sola. (For example, Seirei no Moribito. No doubt the production values of the show are high. But - ancient japan settings tend to bore me to death, and i found that to be the case there as well, and thus i dropped the show. All the high production values and technical perfection (too strong of a word) counts for nothing if the show fails to entertain me, whatever the reason behind the failure, and i sure as hell won't keep watching simply because the execution is good).

Cheers.