View Single Post
Old 2009-06-10, 14:56   Link #123
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, yeah. I want to say that I think it's somewhat cyclical. I know for me personally it isn't by any means the first time I've pointed out these issues over the years. But, like everything else, it's a counter-trend. I mean it's not as if it isn't obvious; to be part of the "AnimeSuki Cool Kids Club" you must:
  1. Watch raws, even if you don't understand Japanese
  2. Comment on said raws, even if you're only guessing at what was said
  3. Leaf through the source material before the episode airs, or act as if you've done so
  4. Complain that every deviation from the source material is inherently bad, regardless of any possible benefits of said modified approach
  5. Treat everything you dislike in a show as an inherent flaw that deserves to be criticized, rather than a simple personal preference.
If you do this around here, you're somehow seen as being smart, sophisticated, and having discriminating tastes. But fundamentally, I haven't seen these people demonstrate that much evidence of greater insight into plot, characterization, or storytelling, which you might expect given the much broader scope of exposure they have to the franchises they discuss. In the end, it seems to me that most of this is just done to "fit in" on the forum, and not really out of a great appreciation for the anime, the story, or anything else. It's just the routine -- the role one plays.

I just feel like whenever the forum experience becomes the product and not simply the byproduct, something of the simple joy of entertainment is lost. Recently, I feel as though this forum has almost passed that point, and as you point out, it seems that others are realizing the same thing. If you don't enjoy anime, what's the point?
Sounds about right for the rules of the "cool club". The one I really don't get is number 4 though. To approach a show from that angle is to assume that the source material is inherently perfect, which obviously can't be the case, but you know. Luckily I've spent the last week marathoning and catching up on shows and minimizing my forum experience and it's been a blast. Forums.....they really can just get in the way of simple enjoyment at times and become mentally unhealthy.

Though in K-On's case I truly believe that even if you accept the fact that it's catering to a certain demographic and that it's not meant to be an ambitious masterpiece *lolkyoani* effort like it was initially made out to be following the first episode that it's still coming up short.

And yeah maybe we are seeing the birth of a countertrend towards all of the Kyoani adaptation hype. Then again somehow I highly doubt it. I think it's more as you commented early, that the hypes died down over the past couple years, the other voices are speaking up more and they've found a way to meet somewhere a little closer to the middle. Maybe being the operative phrase in all of the preceeding paragraph.

Anyway if people think I am critical of over the top moe series now then they should have seen my intial reaction upon being introduced to the concept of moe. Luckily I've learned to tolerate and even appreciate the idea behind it all to a certain extent. Though when it starts to seem like the moe is all a series has going for it......