View Single Post
Old 2013-01-21, 13:36   Link #312
Kudryavka

Not sure if this is a cliche or strange artistic choice, but I'll go.

i didnt like how in the 2006 animated "Kanon", Kyoto Animation made the main character, Yuichi, look just like Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya, because the artist of Kanon's source never draws guys like that. She always draws her guys, then and now, very bishonen, very skinny and andrygonus and with very girly looks. The animation company decided to draw Yuichi way too manly imo, he's buff and tall, has tiny eyes and a long face, and doesnt look girly at all. Its especially weird when I see that the animation company decided to respect the original artist's artistic vision with the other guy in the cartoon, and kept his round face and big, sparkly eyes. Im not saying that I like guys to look girly, im just peeved that the animation company turned their back on the original artist's ideas like that, and then only for one character.

The design for Yuichi is one thing that Toei, the people who did the earlier animated adaptation, did way better than KyoAni. He looks like something the original artist would actually draw in their version.

I have read of other times that animation companies changed the original artist's perfectly animatable design for weird reasons.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote