View Single Post
Old 2009-05-17, 01:47   Link #66
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Ah. Yes...

The plot thickens. Now that makes a lot more sense, Firefly.
No problem; glad to be of assistance. Of course, my take on why there are kill teams from the Eastern lands out to put Max in the ground implies that they would like to go about their business in secrecy.

Quote:
I'll have to brainstorm later how a Selvaria/Welkin scenario can be possible.
Which, I think, is going to be an entity quite separate from the one referenced above.

Quote:
Also, I forgot to mention that if VC were to have a modern retellling, lances wouldn't exist anymore. The Lancers of Gallia would probably be called anti-armor infantry and have recoiless rifles from Carl Gustaf and/or loadable anti-tank missiles. The Empire would probably have RPGs instead. Not sure if anti-air troopers would be a separate class or would be integrated with the anti-armor ones.
It is reasonable to believe that the rocket/missile weapons in VC: Modern Warfare would have more sensible ergonomic forms (though the terms 'lance' and 'lancers' might remain in use out of tradition). I am obliged to point out tha the Russian catalog of man-portable rockets and missiles includes quite a bit more than the ubiquitous RPG-7... such as the RPO-A Shmel (Bumblebee).
Some study as to how NATO and Russian forces diburse man-portable missiles is in order here (this is distinct from dedicated AA vehicles such as the 9K22 Tunguska or certain Bradley and Stryker variants). Reminder: AT and AA missiles have different performance profiles (ATGMs utilize HEAT or HESH effects to defeat armor; antiair missiles rely on blast-fragmentation and proximity fusing to do the deed).
Recoilless rifles are easily in reach of VC's canon tech level; indeed, they can be a Rat Patrol unit's heavy punch, whether jeep-mounted or carried by something akin to the Ontos... the latter's weaknesses (high profile and vulnerable reload cycle) are somewhat mitigated if used in a hit-and-run mission profile.
I also suspect that a modern take on VC would banish the Gallian uniforms' blue/red color scheme to ceremonial duties; more sensible patterning would be found in the field (although the cut and style would still be distinctive once you got a clear look). While the Imperials' preference for browns and greys is not always ideal, it does for the most part make them less obvious in many situations.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote