Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-05, 15:25   Link #68
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm surprised that so many people are seemingly dismissing the systematic bullying aspect here. I haven't seen bullying come up a lot in anime, or in manga, but just about every time it does, there's a certain idea that it conveys:

If an individual starts being nice to the person being systematically bullied, and hangs out a lot with that person, than this individual is likely to get bullied himself/herself.

The look in Taichi's eyes when he saw Chihaya talk more and more with Arata struck me much more as simple concern than outright jealousy. I very much think that Taichi was sincerely worried that a lot of the class would turn on Chihaya if she was seen as getting too close to the "marked" Arata....
Apologies sir ... I was not trying to somehow "dismiss" what you were saying.

I agree that fear of Chihaya being a target of bullying may have been a contributing factor to Taichi's actions. Just for me (at least as of now - maybe it will become clearer as the eps go on?) it felt when I watched it that jealousy was the stronger of the influences going on at that time.

I guess I kinda see it as multiple things intertwining at the same time. Sometimes we can see such things in ourselves: multiple things contributing to an action, some conscious others not, but that we see afterwards upon reflection (possibly because of the unexpected aftereffects).

Just my perception of what happened though - for all we know both you, I and everyone else could be totally off base and the main motivation of Taichi's actions could be something not shown yet!