View Single Post
Old 2004-08-22, 03:29   Link #216
knubbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankZero
I would like to know exactly why everyone is convinced that Itachi is SO powerful. I would like to point out that Gai can defeat Itachi. Itachi's strength lies in his Sharingan, so an opponent skilled in Taijutsu deprives him of his "seeing" advantage. Also, Itachi's best techniques require his opponent to make eye contact. An opponent who doesn't need to see, such as Zabuza in the mist, or one who can read movement without looking at the face, such as Gai, who watches footwork, eliminates the possibility of Itachi's most powerful techniques having effect. His abilities, while devastating, have too many easy counters to make him an effective fighter. He is far too specialized a fighter to be considered, in my opinion, the strongest, or even one of the strongest.
Next, I will attempt to explain why I believe the fourth is the strongest. As seen in the Orochimaru/Sandaime battle, the soul-sealing technique requires the soul of the opponent to be forcibly removed from the opponent. This requires a certain degree of restraining the opponent while their soul is removed, and also requires the spiritual and physical energies to actually overwhelm the opponent. This said, the fourth had to have had, to some degree, power surpassing that of the Kyuubi, a power which allowed him to forcefully rip the spirit of the Kyuubi from its body and transplant it elsewhere. This suggests that the use of his mental and physical resources, applied against a lesser opponent than the great demon fox, would be simply devastating. His power was so great that the current hokage, Sarutobi, granted him the title of hokage upon his death, an acknowledgement of both his sacrifice for Konoha and of his great power and achievement.
So many things wrong, where to begin

Sharingan is an advantage against taijutsu, as it allows you to read and predict your opponent's movement and defend accordingly. When Lee was fighting Sasuke, Sasuke's body was too slow to react, and thus couldn't deal with it. This is not a flaw inherent to the Sharingan, just a lack of skill by Sasuke. Keep in mind Kakashi, who cannot even use the Sharingan to its full extent, can keep up with Gai's speed, seeing as how they are rivals of about equal skill. If Kakashi can deal with Gai, then Itachi, who is far more skilled and has absolutely mastered the Sharingan, should also be able to. We have also seen little of Itachi's non-Sharingan skills, but during their fight, Kakashi understood that Itachi wasn't going all out, yet he was still untouched while Kakashi's defeat was imminent. Itachi used his Sharingan the first time to show off to Kakashi and the second time to escape an otherwise inescapable jutsu. We'll have to see him fight more before we can judge his skills, but he was able to wipe out the entire Uchiha clan and still have the energy to use the Mangekyou Sharingan, so it's obviously not the only weapon he has.

I don't know how the fourth would be able to hold Kyuubi while he pulled its soul out. Kyuubi's power is shown to be far greater than anything else introduced in the series so far, so I don't think the fourth got up close and personal to Kyuubi when he sealed it. Even if he did, more than likely with the help of Gamabunta to restrain Kyuubi, and not his strength alone. To be able to seal Kyuubi does show a lot of strength, but I don't think he had to grab Kyuubi by it's shoulders while he was sealing it the way Sarutobi did with the others. Also, he became Hokage before Kyuubi attacked.
knubbe is offline   Reply With Quote