Thread: Licensed Mashiro-iro Symphony
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-12, 01:34   Link #17
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

While those titles might be better for dramatic potential (there is not much of it in MashiFoni indeed), that isn't a requirement for a good story. A drama is a drama, a romcom is a romcom, both have different appeals and are to be appreciated for different reasons and arguably have different aims in terms of what they want to evoke from the audience. But story doesn't become better simply by having lots of drama in it, how good is an outcome depends on the writer's ability to mold the material he is working with.

I believe Mashiro-iro Symphony completely capable of being the foundation for a good anime, should the writers stick to its guns and not try and inject their own ... er ... "creativity" in the material, those often end up disastrous (I am looking at you, Fortune Arterial). MashiFoni's story and cast are a good deal stronger than Hoshizora's ever was (It was a rather mediocre title to start with, though i believe the lukewarm reception of the anime has more to do with fanboys being unsatisfied with the choice of the male lead rather than technical merits of the show, questionable as they were, but this is neither here nor there) and mesh together fairly well; creating a favorable impression shouldn't be too hard.

The overall structure of the story should lend itself fairly well to being adopted in to an anime, and it shouldn't be too troublesome to weave the essence of the other heroine stories together while sticking to a main one in the center. If we want to bring in comparisons with Hoshizora again, that title was a pure chara-ge with virtually no 'plot' beyond daily character interactions, leaving it in a pretty poor shape once removing all the romance related events. MashiFoni's characters have more of a story to tell and removing romance from the equation from all but one won't leave them immediately stranded, unlike the aforementioned title. (And besides, this title was announced well before Hoshizora started airing).

So ... yeah. I believe MashiFoni to be a quite good choice for an anime, as I found the original to be a highly enjoyable read that left me quite satisfied, and certainly no worse than any other title from Palette. Despite all the usual concerns that come with the territory of it being a VN adaptation, something that producers seem to have conspired to brutalize lately, I find myself very much looking towards this. Unyaa~