View Single Post
Old 2012-08-25, 19:45   Link #98
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marower View Post
Really? I didn't feel there were anything I had gained from watching the earlier episodes. Another sword? Teleportation crystals? The series doesn't really explain how the game itself works anyway.
The show is using that old adage of 'show, don't tell'. I argue that it's using it well, others argue the other way... but because we've been introduced to these notions multiple times and we've seen them used repeatably they're perfectly in place... otherwise some of these things would be massive deus ex machina.

Oh... they can just flee a fight with teleport crystals... wow... gg author for introducing some random element when they magically need it. Kirito needs to defeat one of Asuna's guild members without 'hurting' him while showing the difference in power levels dramatically? Item durability and broken swords ftw.

We've seen these things before, so they're not out of place when we see them now.

For that matter we 'see' why it's becoming important for Kirito to no longer be a solo'er. He had trouble with that single monster earlier in the episode, where as Kirito x Asuna took care of it very easily. Monsters using sword skills implies that Kirito has to be much more careful solo'ing. It gives him a real reason to think about no longer solo'ing.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote