View Single Post
Old 2008-05-27, 19:03   Link #204
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I also don't think Nanase stepped up to Sheryl because of her interest in Alto. Girls blush even for people they don't care about, especially the shy ones. Just because they blush doesn't mean they're interested. She was just caught off guard by Sheryl's random comeback. Honestly, that outburst really struck me as Nanase's way of trying to defend her bestfriend from the Sheryl oppression lol She is bias, yes, but girls do tend to get bias when it involves their bestfriends. I do think she knows that Ranka's crushing on Alto. If Luca and Michael know about it, then what more for her?
Well, Luca and Michael are teasing Alto mainly based on seeing Ranka's barrage of cellphone messages to him in episode 4. They do it because it's yet another thing to tease him about, more than anything else.

Notice that Michael poses a similar question to Ranka just a bit earlier. While Ranka is surprised, her reaction is much more neutral in comparison. She definitely is interested in finding out what's going on between Sheryl and Alto, but she also makes it clear through her tone that Michael hasn't quite understood her intentions.

There's nothing wrong in Nanase being taken aback; but she gives her feelings away through her facial expression and tone of voice as she tries to deny it.

Quote:
The "Ranka can do fine without you" and "You just stepped in here like a queen and started bossing Alto around", sounds to me as the writer's playful way of addresing the Sheryl domination and Ranka's neglection. Notice after Nanase's speech, Ranka turned down Sheryl's offer. I liked that Sheryl was impressed about it. If Ranka had to use Sheryl's help in order to reach her goals, then I think it IS Pointless.
Well, I'd like to think that Ranka was going to turn the offer down regardless of what Nanase said. If she really needed Nanase to tell her that much, then she wouldn't have the inner strength that I believe that she has deep inside. But I could be wrong.

Regardless, I think that scene is more designed to reflect how easily misunderstood Sheryl is, despite her best intentions. The later scene of Ranka lost in a sea of Sheryl pictures is much more effective at conveying the idea that you mentioned.

Quote:
I think what Ranka's singing problem is not about whether or not Alto's physically present to hear her. It's merely the thought of Alto believing in her. Lately, the support coming from the man is absolutely almost to none lol When she found the strength to sing at the mall by the mere thought of Alto, I didn't find the scene as something negative. It actually looked 'right'. She shined brighter than Sheryl that time. :P It's good to not be uber clingy, but I think there is nothing harmless in finding your inner strength from someone.
Well, there's nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from the mental image of Alto, so long as she can learn to do it at will. A lot of athletes and performers have mental images that they use to get themselves pumped up. More than Alto himself, Ranka needs the memory of the words that Alto gave her earlier. No matter where Ranka goes, the memory of those words remain, but the strength to wield them rests with Ranka, not with anyone else.

There's a clear flow of inspiration in that scene, though. Alto doesn't set the plane to flight until Sheryl first gives him the answer to his question about why he flies: it's because he's meant to. Just as Sheryl inspires Alto, that in turn is passed on to Ranka, who finally finds the courage to sing. So it's not enough to point out Alto's involvement alone; there's a clear interaction between all three characters that was necessary for it to work.

(Perhaps it's because I'm a sucker for lines like that, but the dialogue between Alto, Sheryl, and Klan Klein in that scene still gives me goosebumps whenever I watch it. The idea is beautifully expressed.)

Ranka did look very good while singing the song. But the moment that shone the brightest of all was the shy, downcast look of a girl discovering love in the midst of all the loneliness of fame, and the brilliant, timeless sunset in the scene that followed.