View Single Post
Old 2012-11-30, 21:42   Link #38
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
We think it looks ugly or tomboyish. A girl's hair is her treasure. Why destroy it? The other thing is, the girl seldom ever looks good after she cuts it. I can't name a single haircut I've ever liked on a character except for Suzumiya Haruhi and that's because she was first shown to have shorter hair so there was no shock factor. She looks nice either way...probably because Ito's character designs are so attractive anyway.
Hmmm
*imagines a long-haired Yuki and imagines Yuki fanboys passing out from nosebleeds*
So tomboyish is not a legitimate trait for females? A girl's hair is her treasure yes, but the keyword here is "her". It's hers. Last time I checked, most people aren't tied down and given a forced haircut. I can't say I know how women think, but as a person, I'd feel pretty bad if I cut my hair for a new look and was instantly criticized for it. It's personal preference, and I for one like the shorter hair overall. There's no way you can say "the girl seldom ever looks good after she cuts it", that's actually somewhat insulting.

Quote:
I strongly disagree. There are lots of mature, sexy woman with short hair in anime, whereas the most playful/cute ones normally have long hair. I don't think short hair is a "younger look"....I mean older women almost always cut their hair short once they get past middle age because long hair doesn't look good on them anymore. Long hair is definitely a symbol of "youth". Maidens from the middle ages always wore it long. So if anything, short hair is an "older look", not "young".
Perhaps I made it TOO general. There are definitely lots of mature women who have short hair; I wasn't trying to imply that there were none. However, I semi-disagree when you say "long hair is a symbol of youth". When you're younger you have the freedom and want to try new things, whilst once you're a member of the working society and especially after you're married, there's somewhat less of an adventurous nature and more of a systematic outlook. Not saying it applies to everyone, but that's mostly how it is. We're not exactly portraying the middle ages here.