View Single Post
Old 2010-08-20, 20:29   Link #38
Belmondo

Uh, no. The game spoilers I read said:
Spoiler for details:
Though I'm only taking the word of whoever compiled the spoilers for it. Based on that, I guess if the show had followed the game more closely, it would have faded to black with the kiss, and we can then read between the lines...

But if she wasn't really asleep (doesn't she smile to herself? and why do we hear them speaking just afterward?) this was one final prank and while it may make some viewers rage I guess it was in character.

The lack of a proper timeskip still smarts. It's comforting to know that
Spoiler for details:
so the best ending, with its promises of being together forever, can only improve on that.

---

General thoughts on her and her arc (Not sure whether it's proper to post on the older episode threads at this point):

Episode 5 is mostly concerned with setting up things and the romance plot only gets underway after Junichi says he thought Kaoru was going to confess to him (which did happen, what is this devilry). But we get a great sense of how close the two are even as "just" friends. Physically and emotionally comfortable with each other, getting annoyed at times as friends do.

But I was most intrigued by Junichi's private thoughts about Kaoru. That way, even if it's not as deep as true love, he's the first of them to think of the other as more than just a friend. So physical attraction (at least) on his part was latent in him already, and as we see from the pool flashback it didn't just pop in his head that moment.

But it seemed to go beyond physical attraction. He's acting all lovestruck while walking to the garden, bumping into Rihoko who notices his face is red. And he overacts while being disappointed that Kaoru wasn't really going to confess.

Why then does he say he doesn't like any girls when Kaoru asks him? I figure he was confused or trying to hide it (like her) but it wasn't staged well in episode 6.

Coming to episode 6, it's all about them feeling each other out emotionally and physically, with all the awkwardness that brings and it was fun to watch. Her opening bath scene was ironic because Junichi has indeed changed his view of her, though he doesn't admit it. I wish more had been made of Miya seeing them during the belly kiss.

Episode 7 was a drastic mood shift and some people didn't like it, but I did. The various flashbacks really give you a sense of how close these two have been through the years. 3 years is short compared to Rihoko being literally the childhood friend, but it feels like they've friends for ages. They shop for clothes together. Good gravy. And of course Junichi's concern is motivated by love though he doesn't know it fully. I've already said a little about Kaoru's attitudes toward her father above. It gave some depth to her besides being a sorta tsundere "bro".

She does overreact by going AWOL, but I looked it at through her eyes:

- Your dad leaves (more probably dies) and you and your mom go on with their lives but still hold him dear, irreplaceable. You promise each other that you'll work hard to get by on your own, since no one will ever replace your dad. Then suddenly you find out that your mom is thinking of remarriage for a while now, hiding this from you. Dad is going to be replaced! It's too much to take at once. ... Then your closest friend who you think you're in love with comes to snap you out of it, even after you slam him to the ground. He even remembered your favorite seasonal chocolate treat (a poster here pointed out this detail was an unconscious sign of love and I agree).

The exchange of "I'm there for you" and "Stay by my side" was heart-swelling.

It's also very telling that Junichi is able to pick up and elucidate on what Kaoru can only blurt out after misdirection: that it was love of her dad, not for her own sake, that drove her to near-breakdown. ("It hurts because you treasure the memory of them together more than yourself.")

With all this said, episode 7 feels like an extended denouement since we know they love each other already, but when they finally admit it to each other it just feels great. But in this arc's case, the journey was the destination.

The omission of the plot point (or plot thread unifier) I mentioned above did not feel great though. Especially since certain mirrored lines (watch her bath and the diner scene again ) looked like they were building it up!

---

Kaoru may not be the hottest choice canonically (there's a reason why Haruka is the school idol and keeps popping up, including in Sae's first episode) but she's definitely one of the nicer ones.

- invites Junichi over for Christmas after he's stood up (why does he still have a planetarium of depression afterward?)
- climbs a tree to get a shuttlecock for random kids
- sticks up for Keiko, to the point of getting into fights

So it's only fitting that Junichi reciprocate through being there for her when she flips out.

Despite some letdowns, the arc was definitely a feel-good one overall. How couples are not only lovers for life but also bros for life?

Her arc will be missed. On the bright side, she is still his best friend in all other realities, so she's not going away.

(mammoth post, heh)

Last edited by Belmondo; 2010-08-21 at 20:52.