Thread: Macross "Canon"
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-08, 17:13   Link #59
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
If I had wanted any official book to be "real official canon", this would have been the one. I can't think of a more perfect outcome for Frontier. It's a damn shame that they put in that note. Sheryl and Alto together, Sheryl being a pilot, Alto having his sky and Sheryl... <sigh> It's a good ending.
Frankly speaking though, nothing that we have access to is 'canon', according to our conception of it. There is a 'continuity' (using a phrase from the TV tropes entry), but as Tak (and Yot-chan) have previously said, they don't really care about creating a 'fleshed-out' canon like, for example, George Lucas does.

Anyways, to explain why I said that this book shows Kawamori's approach is not the 'parallel worlds' idea - it's another work published in the Macross Universe, specifically, it was published on Macross Olympia in 2065.

i.e. It follows the approach he laid out in the 1998 interview - every work they make is something published in the Macross Universe, based to a greater or lesser extent on people that existed and events that occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I don't have the first VF-1 book with me (it's back in my Mom's attic in L.A.) but yes: both the VF-19 book and the VF-1 Space Wings book have similar disclaimers.
Just wondering - did they also say when and where in the universe they were published, like this one does?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-09 at 05:15.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote