View Single Post
Old 2011-10-01, 22:16   Link #653
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Excuse me while I pop some confetti and start partying and dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's not just that Nichijou bombed, per se, it's also that there's nothing else out there for KyoAni right now. Nothing at all. Most importantly, there's the context that this is all occurring in, given what we've seen in this calender year so far.
Really? I think they can, and should, just fall back on Key adaptations, at least for now. That fared well for them in the past, and last year's Angel Beats was a success at least partially thanks to the Key label. And even if that isn't an option, why not give them the job of animating something completely different, like a shounen fighting anime, a shoujo romance anime, a mecha anime, or a family-oriented adventure anime? They could be more like A-1 Pictures.

If you ask me, Nichijou's failure is not so much a devastating blow as it is a wake-up call to Kadokawa and other companies telling them that KyoAni can't transform any pile of junk into a lamborghini and that KyoAni should try adapting something good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There was a time when KyoAni ruled "moe anime" like Final Fantasy ruled JRPGs.

Having a non-KyoAni "moe" anime come out around the same time that a KyoAni "moe" anime was also coming out was almost commercial suicide, very much comparable to releasing a different JRPG within a couple weeks of the latest FF game.

True Tears, and ef, amongst others, felt the pain of going head-to-head with KyoAni's Clannad.

It wasn't that long ago when KyoAni had the moe fan market almost monopolized, leaving direct competitors fighting over leftovers.

Now, with Nichijou bombing, and KyoAni not having even one other anime out there from Winter 2011 to Fall 2011, KyoAni has left their "moe" marketplace dominance very vulnerable.

A-1 has entered the stage with Anohana (a direct play on the Key/KyoAni customerbase, imo) and iDOLM@STER (a direct play on the K-On/KyoAni customerbase, imo), the first of which is a big sales winner and the latter of which is potentially a 10 K or more seller. Combine that with A-1's sales success amongst the fujoshi (Uta no Prince-sama) and shonen (Ao no Exorcist) customer-bases, and they may be turning into an absolute monster studio, at least commercially.

What happens if/when a KyoAni "moe" title goes head-to-head with A-1's next Anohana or iDOLM@STER? I have a feeling that such a thing won't go as well for KyoAni as Clannad vs. True Tears/ef did.

KyoAni needs to do something big and new (so, no, the K-On movie alone isn't enough) soon, or they risk getting completely eclipsed by A-1 and/or other anime studios.
Agreed, except that Nichijou is really not the same type of 'moe' anime that K-On is. Nichijou is primarily a comedy that sacrifices characterization for gags, and it doesn't have nearly the same hinge on characters that shows like K-On and A-Channel do. It's hard to feel moe for characters that aren't even fleshed out properly. That is possibly the main reason it didn't sell well, but maybe it's also because it's a bad anime.

Last edited by Tempester; 2011-10-01 at 23:10. Reason: useless inflammatory trash