View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 16:25   Link #58
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You have been hanging around way too much at tv tropes seeing your own initial examples are the same found there.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...Deconstruction

As for deconstructing FMA, all of your previous examples are tied to it's main theme of equivelant trade: "Nothing is free. To get something, you have to pay/sacrifice something of equal value." Which in itself is a life lesson.
This theme (and life lessons in general) is more common in media that are meant for a more adult audience found in seinen or josei mangas.
That's why i mentioned earlier that it's just a shounen manga with a little bits of seinen flavor.
Well it's true all of those examples are from that list, but I have seen all of those anime and it's a great list. There are definitely ones that I have thought of after reading that list that would also count as deconstructions, which I only thought of after (Gunslinger Girl , BOTI, D. Gray-man, Jiraishin, ) but when I read that list on TV Tropes and saw that most of my favorite anime were on that list (Narutaru, Bokurano, My-Hime, Toradora, and Digimon Tamers) it was kind of a revelation. It made me think, hmmm, maybe I really like anime with deconstruction themes.

Anyways, a lot of my FMA examples are not about equivalent exchange. Hawkeye and Havoc couldn't even use alchemy.

Equivalent exchange is not the same as power makes you weak.
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote