View Single Post
Old 2013-12-20, 15:23   Link #71
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that Kyousuke breaking down a bit was necessary to show that he hadn't become just some cool, aloof pragmatist. He played the guy who tried to keep it all together for Riki and Rin's sake, but deep down, he was hurting a lot too. I think it was important to show that to give it a human touch. I felt it hit the sweet spot for this kind of scene - Appropriately emotional, but also dignified.

Kengo was perhaps a touch over-emotional, but then Masato handled it all remarkably well, so you had a good range of emotional responses. I liked how not everybody was crying a lot, and that some were reacting more emotional than others.
Kyousuke and Kengo were on either side of the narm line for me during their parting scenes. I definitely undestand the reasons for it, but I've never been a big fan of "Screaming in Emotion" scenes- there's a certain level in which it becomes comical to my eyes. I have a similar reaction to some crying scenes, particularly in anime.

I far preferred the scene after the credits. It was understated, and not unrealistically so. I suspect people have different tolerances for melodramatic elements like that. It's why I can't give this show a 10, even though it is a good episode, it is far from perfect to my sensibilities. I'm not familiar with Key works though, perhaps it goes with the territory?