View Single Post
Old 2008-04-30, 17:58   Link #129
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Got my LE edition box today..... okay, the XL t-shirt with the schoolgirl outfit image on it is ... just strange. No, I will not be wearing it.

I figure either my wife or my son's girlfriend will end up using it as a nightshirt ....

Also got... a V1 LE Screenwipe in the form of a choco-cornet ... more wierdness.

The two CDs were nice bonus
The first one (Motteke) ... though I don't know that we needed an extended version of the OP (gets pretty wild) but now we have "official" lyrics for the rest of us. The second tune isn't too bad ... kind of typical anime-pop and a bit of rap-chant with synth music.

The second CD is an R1 release of character volume #1 (Konata) -- this is pretty weird in itself since rarely is a character CD released into the US (as opposed to imported). Its full of Konata anime karaoke and a remix of her dialog (waste of time to me but such things seem required in recent anime character CDs).

The DVD itself:
Watched an episode of the CD in English with English subtitles. They did an excellent job with the dialog versus the subtitles (different yet same). However... amazingly, I spotted several spelling errors in the subtitles ("supoosed"...).

The "dub hater" review:
Despite my concerns, I found the dub for L*S one of the EASIEST dubs to listen to that I've experienced. And being a Kagami-worshipper, I actually think the VA for Kagami did pretty well, being the Jekyll/Hyde type she is. Going from "sweet good girl" to "aggravated growly" ... she did fairly well though her "good girl" voice ends up sounding a bit too timid initially. Kagami's english VA really fits into her groove in ep 2 as her performance gets stronger.
Miyuki and Tsukasa sound a LOT alike so when they're speaking offscreen, it can get confusing. Kuroi-sensei's english VA has a nice brassy sound to her performance.

There was one major fail of subbing and voicing in ep 2 during the splitscreen of Konata and Tsukasa and their study habits - they totally ignored Konata's lines.

The Lucky*Channel segment is just .... strange. The two of them did pull it off fairly well. Excellent merging of the english with the japanese singing during the karaoke EDs.

Overall --- I'm amazed. I might actually be able to show this to people using the English dub rather than the subtitles.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-04-30 at 22:25.