Thread: Photographs
View Single Post
Old 2008-09-25, 21:52   Link #497
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I haven't had the chance to take many shots recently, but I'll share a few here. Images are in 1024x768, hidden behind spoilers. EXIF data has apparently been ripped by the host; sorry...

The following two were taken with the Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm with the EX-25 extension tube mounted. The water lilies were in the middle of a small pool of water, meaning that I coildn't get close with my 50mm macro lens alone; the 70-300mm + EX-25 gave me the reach I needed and allowed me to go to ~0.6x magnification.

Water lily (female):
Spoiler:

Water lily (male):
Spoiler:

Macro shot of a large blade of silvery grass, taken with Zuiko Digital 50mm macro:
Spoiler:

And then for something interesting. People usually take shots of fountains at a slow shutter speed, so as to capture the motion of the fountain. I turned up the ISO and aperture, waited for the clouds to pass, and then took a shot of a fountain at 1/4000 shutter speed (the fastest that the E-520 will allow). Result:
Spoiler:

Not bad, but 1/4000 still wasn't fast enough to freeze everything. (1/8000 maximum speed of the Olympus E-3 would have been fun to try.) How can that technique be applied? See the next picture. Taken with the ZD 50mm macro:

Spoiler:

This is a shot of a fountain depicting three young women dancing in a circle, hands linked. In the center is a rising jetstream of water. Depending on the direction of the wind, a different figure would be sprinkled. For statues they seem rather lively, but use of a slow shutterspeed to capture the movement of the water would only serve to make the figures look dead and unmoving. Freezing the water makes the statues feel even more alive.

All images uncropped and unprocessed.