View Single Post
Old 2012-03-18, 13:03   Link #28157
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
3) Yasu's madness that keeps Yasu from really understanding there are consequences: the thing I had mentioned in my previous post. If it's nothing but a game to play with Battler, Shkanon may also realize that they are just pieces in Yasu's game because... well... obvious reasons.
I wonder if she really doesn't understand this.

Let's assume Yasu is simply suicidal. As she aims to kill herself regardless of what's going to happen she might not care about the consequences.
Maybe the miracle she was hoping in was for someone to understand her, stop her and change her mind. The challenge to solve the epitaph is her request for help. The murders are the stone tied to her neck as she tries to drown herself.
Once the murders start there's no turning back unless a miracle happens, someone will understand her, forgive her, persuade her to live.

To me it looks like she's setting up a bet she plans to lose as this miracle has astronomically low chances to happen and even in EP 7, when someone solves the epitaph, we see no one cared about her.

(The interesting part of Ep 7 however would be the Lion's part. He too was about to let himself die when actually Will came back and gave him the will to live. Note that Lion hadn't killed anyone. Maybe that's what happened in Prime.)

After all we're told that a tragedy would have happened even if Battler hadn't come back... only that it would have been a smaller one. Possibly Yasu would have just killed herself (and maybe Jessica and George to complete her lovers suicide) and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
EP2!Meta!Beatrice shows the fact that Yasu's madness includes disregard for human life.

The whole Meta-Chess thing going on is a representation of how Yasu sees what she's doing. Even though they are real people that won't come back no matter what, she uses them as chess pieces and "captures" them without thought.

Because the way Umineko is layered and still open ended, make what you want of them, but Yasu's madness is seen in Beatrice in the early parts of the story, and this is how I make a "weak motive" become the force behind the tragedy.
Well, there are scenes that hint that Yasu might have a darker than it looks personality. Still, her drama was a little too veiled for my taste. Personally I prefer Higurashi where the drama of each culprit is explained so you can at least find reasons for what they did... which remains horrible but in many cases more logic than what we see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I simply refuse to believe Yasu is insane. She acts far, far too rationally for a person who would need to have a loose enough grip on reality to blow things so far out of proportion.It certainly creates the impression that Will gave the answers Clair wanted to hear, not necessarily the right ones.
I don't like the idea of insane!Yasu either... though generally many form of insanity have their own logic and insane guys can be very rational on certain levels especially in books.
"10 little indians" killer is insane... though he/she plans everything carefully and lived a perfectly normal life up till the point he decided to kill 9 people and himself/herself.
The problem is I can buy how his/her motive pushed him/her to do what he/she did... but the same doesn't work so well for Yasu. Yes, it's possible she did it for this or that but in any case it seems I'm forcing an answer in the same way I could say that Battler killed everyone to avenge Asumu's death.
Let's say Rudolf's betrayal caused her to kill herself and the pain for her dead caused first his grandmother and then his grandfather to die and the Ushiromiya just covered up for Rudolf and now that he's back no one is ever mentioning Asumu or expressing regret for her death... and he takes this the wrong way.

Yes, this can be a motive for him to kill... but we know that's not what had happened.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote