View Single Post
Old 2011-10-21, 20:55   Link #267
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
I hear that a lot, but it's usually, ironically enough, used to argue that a happier series (like FMA Brotherhood) is better simply because it's happier and that another series is inferior because it's "angsty". No, tragic series don't inherently have depth but judging from the huge amount of people who use that argument and the related one that I mentioned, you'd think that including any elements of tragedy makes a series instantly inferior.
I don't think happier series have more depth. I think whether happy, sad, or bitter-sweet has nothing to do with whether a series has depth. But you are certainly acting like a tragic ending is automatically better and more original; & I am saying that is ridiculous.

There are PLENTY of sad & tragic endings in fiction (these type of endings are not as original as you make them out to be). Just like there are plenty of happy ones. The tone of the ending does not make a series better or worse; it's what the viewer gets out of it & the presentation. And I personally like series with both types of endings. But I certainly don't think one is better or more unique than the other; because it definitely is not. That's why I can enjoy a film like Bicycle Thieves & Singing in the Rain and see the beauty of both.

Now I personally got far more meaning out of Brotherhood's ending than I did out of the first series. If you enjoyed the first series better & it was more meaningful to you well more power to you. But that doesn't mean Brotherhood or the manga lacked depth because it has a hopeful ending.