View Single Post
Old 2008-06-12, 11:49   Link #87
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
That's a bit of a straw man argument.

My suggestion was based on what is appropriate for moderate behaviour, but your reasoning is directed towards what should be done in extreme cases. Alto is neither depressed nor suicidal.

Observe, and act based on those observations. There are times when an issue should be brought up, and there are times when it shouldn't.
While I certain he's not suicidal he does sort of act recklessly when he's flying. A possible cause of this is his wanting to prove himself in flying so people will forget about his Kabuki. I think his flying is adversely affected by his issues from the past. And yes I do believe you should pick your times to bring up sensitive issues but I think people are often too reluctant to be straightforward about issues.

We can look at the time with Michael and Alto when he shot his VF by mistake. Michael didn't come out with his issues and Alto just assumed he did it on purpose without asking him straight up if there was a reason. Klan telling Alto what the issues was that actually helped the two resolve the issue. Klan was straightforward even though she knew Michael wouldn't thank her for it. And it took Alto putting himself in a position where Michael could make amends/ get over it for the issue to finally be resolved.

Quote:
The reason that embarrassment is something that an actor needs to overcome is because it limits their performance. If you don't believe in the role, it'll show. So while there was nothing wrong with Ranka being embarrassed about dressing up as a carrot, she wasn't giving her best shot at that particular point in time. When she learns to overcome that embarrassment, then she'll be able to give it her best shot.

I think the distinction may lie in the fact that "giving something your best shot" isn't the same as simply 'trying'. The former implies that you didn't hold anything back.
I believe the distinction truly lies in the end result being the deciding factor. I don't believe the end result is the only thing that influences if someone gave it their all. If we take two people, one who is naturally gifted and experience orator and another who has little experience at speech, and throw them in the middle of a stage. The gifted person does a flawless speech and draws standing ovations. The inexperienced person goes up there and makes a couple mistakes, stammers a few times but all in all does a decent speech. I will say 90 percent of the time the one that gave it his all was the inexperienced person. Why? The experienced person could do it in there sleep and was probably only half awake while doing it. The inexperienced one will have to overcome his nervousness and inexperience. That he isn't perfect at this doesn't make his effort any less than 100 percent.

It the same as in school where they're students who give it their all in exams but come out scoring less than another who never even opened his book. Some people are more naturally gifted as some things or more experienced. The end result shouldn't be the only thing you judge "giving you all" on but also the individual who's involved.

Quote:
The "look at me too" line was actually a voiceover from the movie. It's part of the script for Mao.

Scripted kisses are done to the satisfaction of the director, not the satisfaction of the actors. Ranka had a job to do, and she did it. If her goal was specifically to kiss Alto, she would have done it on her own terms, off the big screen.
It's a voice over from the movie but one not from the actual Macross Zero. The line was added to show Mao's feeling at the time and to convey that this is feelings that Ranka now understands. That kiss scenes aren't for the satisfaction of actors doesn't mean that they can't find it satisfying. Ranka didn't specifically chose to do the role because she wanted to kiss Alto. One of the reasons she wasn't going to do the role was because of her reluctance to kiss him. That changed when she saw Sheryl kiss him. Maybe it was jealousy, or competitiveness. Who knows. It probably similar reason that Sheryl kissed Alto in the first place. Either way that changed Ranka reluctance into a reason to do it. Not the goal but just another reason.