View Single Post
Old 2012-09-07, 22:17   Link #87
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
(That was all more of a random tangent than anything, I know you didn't really say anything opposite from what I wrote)
Yeah, I actually agree with a lot of what you wrote. Especially on anime adaptations include some original material (I'm more open minded about this since I think that how a story is adapted to the screen needs to work as a visual medium, not as a direct copy from a text) and about shows needing more time so we'd be able to be drawn into it (many a show these days end before we have enough time to really soak into them and enjoy the world they've built for us to watch) and definitely on how a show doesn't necessarily have to always make a contribution towards the overall narrative and plot but can also spend time on exploring other aspects such as the cast and the setting and the world philosophies etc. It's these things that I really value, and many show that I absolutely love (Erin, Casshern Sins, GiTs, Kino's journey, Natsume, Mushishi, Haibane Renmei, Ikoku Meiro, InuXBoku just to name a few) do and I appreciate them all the more for taking the time to expand on the world they made and add more layers to the world they present.

So, it's not that I'm disagreeing with you on any of that, but in this case, I feel like having it go for longer than one cour might not be end up stretching it too thin. I usually slightly value show which are more compounded and written in a tighter fashion, because I think they get to the point they are in direct and stronger manner, and they don't waffle around too much. That's not always the case just going by some of the shows I've listed and I enjoyed greatly in the past, but there have been times were I felt like many shows could have been better had they cut down on parts and tried to not do too much. Less is more in those cases. I don't get the impression here that there will be much waffling, if anything like you mentioned it might be better to get to know about each time period better and get to see how ddo these kids change as they age and grow, but as a rule of thumb I prefer if they kept it short and precise.

Of course, like I said, I haven't read the book, and I'm simply going by how it's a 1000 page novel, so I don't know if in those 1000 pages there is material to cover 3 cours or just enough for 1. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong if the show ends up being 2 cours and they decided to expand and explore more on the novel here, and if it all ends up being a great watch then that's all the better for me.