Thread: Ubuntu Linux
View Single Post
Old 2007-09-24, 21:04   Link #220
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't use encryption; my wireless routers have MAC address filtering to keep out unauthorized users. I don't really care if someone's sniffing my traffic since there'd be little to see. Most times I do credit purchases from a wired machine, and even if I'm using the laptop, the transaction is encrypted with SSL so the credit information is invisible anyway.
I agree with the point about SSL, but MAC address filtering isn't that strong because as soon as someone sniffs out your MAC address they can spoof it (of course you should notice as your connection will go gaga, but a experienced attacker would wait for the address to no longer be in use).

It does seem that a lot of companies are releasing their drivers as open source (thank goodness), and I can't wait for the day when a linux distro really works out of the box with no fiddling. I know that that is a pointless wish as it is nearly impossible for a distro to cover every hardware, but I was shocked how ubuntu nearly covers every bit of kit I slap it on, then only thing it misses normally is WPA support, the wireless normally works with WEP (spit). I'm not too sure that I can even get Vista to run on my lappie, and I'm not too sure what the out of the box driver support is like for it.