View Single Post
Old 2011-12-28, 17:28   Link #110
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
What, flashback Sauron was just...there. Being big bad armored man. It only works because it's a short sequence so you assume there was something more leading up to that point ("the story so far..."). As for LOTR proper, he only works as a villain because there's Saruman, and the Nazgul, and Gollum, and the Balrog, and giant elephants, and huge armies of evil things, as well as drama and dissension within the good side. But mostly Saruman and the Nazgul.

Giant CGI things smashing each other like it was God of War would ruin Silmarillion, utterly. The book "works" because it demands the reader treats it like myth, with respect and all, and fill in their own blanks, their own meaning. Problem is, visual medium fills those blanks -- which is bound to leave someone, probably me, unimpressed. That one Balrog in LOTR was so epic because it was perfectly timed dramatically and it was so dangerous to the little fellowship, one hundred Balrogs versus one thousand super-elves would just be...pedestrian.

But that's neither here nor there, as this is the Hobbit thread. Little hairy-foots are considerably less difficult to translate than myths.
Melkor and Sauron are both great candidates for portrayal if you look at certain parts of the Silmarillion. They aren't just about fighting, I would love to see some scenes of them taking up the shape of men and elves, or Melkor's interactions with Feanor. And while I take your point that the adaptation could leave one wanting more, when I read those passages my mind is conjuring an epic cinematic battle that I could perfectly envision on the silver screen, if done properly (and I'm not saying it would - this was all hypothetical anyways). I think ungoliant and her complete darkness enrapturing the two trees as she sucked the life of them, that'd be a damn cool scene animated. But yes, by and large the Silmarillion is not adaptable to film, perhaps just a few animated short films here or there, lol (which I said from the start).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote