View Single Post
Old 2012-07-27, 21:33   Link #17
novalysis

This.

This is Accel World's strongest episode by a mile. This is one of the best training episodes I've seen in a very long time.

The Incarnate system is one of the most plausible explanation of Shounen Powerups - in a world where "Over-ride" is possible with sufficient willpower, Heart and Imagination can transcend supposed "reality." No wonder the Accel World is so, so seductive, since Heart and Imagination does not necessarily guarantee results in the real world. In time, I'd suspect Haru could go from just Bladed arms, to Auto Cannons and Laser emitters. Imagine strafing your poor opponents from the Air.

What should I laud on next? Sky Raker. In just one Episode, the directors have made us connect to her. Right on the spot. It took me four or five episodes to connect to KYH. Sky Raker took just ONE, and I'm sold on her. This is how you do a strong, mentor female character without making her a sue, making her feel human, with human flaws yet worthy of being a teacher.

And Haru more than redeemed himself this episode, while still somehow remaining in character. Haru's a sharp guy, he caught on fast to the purpose of his training, he realized what he had to do. And you know what? It felt completely, astoundingly, perfectly in character. You have a talented, sharp man who unfortunately is flawed, socially awkward and lacks a certain degree of self-esteem.

After the rage fest of Noumi... this is an oasis in a desert oozing with hate and grimness. And now, Haru heads back out to the desert, after healing, learning and growing and refreshing himself in Sky-raker's Oasis, in a very plausible and believable manner.

Spoiler for Kawahara is in Top form, Comparisons and Musings on his other works and Sky-Rakers Arc:

10/10. I think this is the first time I gave this score to an Accel World Episode. Easily the most emotionally impactful and strongest Accel World episode yet.

MORE Sky Raker. She's an awesome character.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-07-27 at 21:43.