View Single Post
Old 2013-04-13, 17:20   Link #37924
Andarkoshi
Resident Tentacle Monster

It's something I worked on for a bit now, I wonder if you have any opinions that would be helpful... Yes I am taking some liberties with Nanoha world XD

Her light steps carried her down the street while the rain softly splashed against her umbrella. The world around her was cool and moist, the rain covered it with a soft haze. Her eyes were on the clouds, dark, calm clouds which passed lazily above her as they showered the world.

She did not mind the soft downpour, the world was a peaceful and calm place when it rained. Back on Eltria most beasts didn’t attack during rain and preferred to seek shelter in their dens and dungeons. Those were the rare moments of
peace back there.

She fixed her long pale coloured scarf wrapped around her neck, it was still early spring and the air had a chill to it. Her hand brushed off some stray droplets which found their way onto her knee-long overcoat. Her legs didn’t feel particularly cold, wrapped in the dark stocking and her feet protected by the comfortable boots which reached above her ankle.

She was lucky she checked the weather forecast or else she’d have to either run home or get a taxi. The clouds were gathering since afternoon but it wasn’t until half an hour ago that it started to rain.

A soft sigh escaped her lips as she watched the clouds pass by pushed by a gentle breeze. While the negotiations were successful and she managed to secure more help for her world it was still hard work. It wasn’t only TSAB officials she had to negotiate with either, various companies which she contacted also wished to get a piece of this lucrative pie. Except they were far less generous than TSAB, it was a hard fight to win as much as she could without giving out too much. In the end those people were greedy and tried to take advantage of her situation. But she would not lose to them, she would not yield. This task was give to her by her King, she would not fail and would not withdraw no matter the things she would have to face.

She wanted to aid her sisters back in Eltria but she knew that her intelligence and ability to negotiate favourable contracts were more important than her combat skills at the moment. This was her role right now, one which she focused her full attention on.

As she walked her eyes lowered at the flowers in the park which spread to her right. The park was mid-way between the office where she usually met with trading partners and her apartment.

The greenery spread as far as the eye could see, the grass looked fresh and alive as the rain washed away the dust. Stern crouched beside one of the flower beds, the delicate plants shyly peeked out of the ground while their leaves eagerly reached out to the rain as if to quench their thirst.

A gentle smile spread on her lips, she loved plants, they were the sign of life and growth. Back on Eltria there were so many places where no plant could grow, places devoid of all life where not even cacti or bushes grew.

She gently brushed one of the leaves, a drop of water collected on her finger as she rose it only to fall yet again down to the soil which it would enrich. Stern stood up slowly, once again taking in the beautiful sight in front of her. This was what she worked for, a world filled with life where Dearche, Levi and Yuri could live happily.

For the time being though her work was done, she secured the supplies for her world and could relax, if only briefly. All she really wanted now was to get back home, take a long hot bath and finish the book she started yesterday, maybe make something good for Levi if she was around

With that in mind she resumed her slow trip home, only rain and an occasional car breaking the quietness of the streets. Her steps carried her slowly towards the apartment block where she lived with Levi and Dearche when they were on Mid-Childa. It was a fairly large apartment with room for each of them, fully equipped with various conveniences of everyday life. Dearche would not accept anything less as their “Base of operations” on Mid-Childa as she called it. Levi was more than happy to call it a base, her adventurous nature reacted every time she heard the word Base.

She was very close to her home when a familiar sound caught her attenton. Her head moved from one side to the other as she tried to identify the source. After a moment of concentration she moved, her feet tapped against the ground impatiently. She knew that sound, knew it almost too well. So many times did she hear it back on Eltria. It was a cry of a child, lost, scared, hurt with no one around who could help or save it. But she was there, she could hear it and like so many times before, she moved to the child’s rescue.

She found her huddled up in a corner behind the support beams of one of the buildings. The poor thing was completely soaked, her jeans and a white pullover clung to her body, both filled with water. The girl was ten, maybe eleven years old, her dark blue hair stuck to her head and face as she rubbed her eyes and cried.

“Onee-chan... Otou-chan... “

She called out for her family, a quiet plea to be found, to be saved by those closest to her from this dark, cold place she found herself in.

Stern crouched beside the girl and reached out but stopped, she didn’t want to startle the child.

“Are you hurt?”

She asked with the softest voice she could manage. The girl seemed really scared, being approached by a complete stranger could prove to be too much for her.

“Eh?”

The girl answered quietly as her hands lowered slightly to take a look at this strange woman who crouched in front of her.

The girl took one look at Stern, her eyes shot open, her mouth opened and with a scream the girl ran away her arms up in the air.

Stern stared after the girl for a second before a sigh escaped her lips. She completely forgot about the most important step when you approach a child, smile. With her large ice-cold blue eyes and a default expression that could be called bored at best and grim at worst, she wasn’t exactly someone who encouraged trust in children. She turned to the girl, her hand moved up as she prepared a bind spell. It wouldn’t do the child any good if she fell under a car or down into some hole.

But before she finished the spell the girl did what you might have expected. She slipped and fell over straight into the biggest puddle in the vicinity, one that could easily classify as a small lake.

“Oh dear”

Stern murmured as understanding dawned on her, lost in the city without an umbrella or a raincoat, falling straight into the biggest puddle she could find... The young woman realized that she might just have to deal with the most natural of dojikkos.

With a few quick steps she was by the girl’s side and a moment later she easily fished the girl out of the water before carrying her back into the corner where she found her. The girl couldn’t really get any more wet even if she tried but it was better to get her out from under the rain.

“Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?”

She asked, making sure to smile gently at the girl this time. This seemed to have worked as instead of running away in panic the girl only stared at her with fright.

“Please don’t eat me...”

The girl begged quietly, her lower lip quivered with fear.

“I won’t eat you, don’t worry”

“Will you sell me for spare parts?”

The girl asked watching Stern with frightened stare.

“No I won’t”

“And you won’t take me away to a magical kingdom of hardgay angels?”

“I...”

Stern stopped for a moment to inspect the girl’s face. She wasn’t entirely sure whether the girl was sincere or if was secretly making fun of her.

“No I won’t. Now are you hurt?”

The answer to that was a quick shake of a head which made Stern relax a bit.

“I know I’m a stranger and I’m sure that your father told you not to talk to strangers...”

The answer to that was a fierce nod and as if she only now remembered that rule the girl pressed her lips together, determined not to speak a word.

“But I promise I’m not someone suspicious. Here...”

She said and brought up a small piece of plastic, it was a temporary TSAB mage license which was given to her so she could officially aid TSAB in various assignments. Aside from money, goods and artefacts, Materials also offered their help in exchange for the goods they received from TSAB.

“Ah... it’s similar to Otou-chan’s...”

The girl said before she glanced between the piece of plastic and Stern as if to make sure she was the same person as on the picture. Was it possible that this scary looking Onee-chan was actually working for TSAB like her father?

“Do you believe me now?”

Her smile widened a bit when the girl nodded hesitantly, her hand reached out and gently patted the girl’s head. The child glanced up at the warm hand which ruffled her wet hair and smiled shyly.

“What’s your name?”

She asked the girl who perked up at the question.

“Subaru, Subaru Nakajima”

“It’s a very cute name Subaru-chan. I’m Stern, Takamachi Stern”

The girl smiled and blushed at that.

“Stern-san then?”

The girl asked and smiled when the woman nodded but then blinked at her curiously when Stern put her umbrella down and rose to get her overcoat unbuttoned.

“Now, we need to get you somewhere warm and dry. I live nearby so is it okay if I take you there?”

She asked and the girl nodded, this Onee-chan was really kind and gentle despite her scary face.

“Good. Now put your arms through the sleeves”

She said as she swung the overcoat over Subaru’s shoulders. The girl glanced at her worriedly though.

“Is something wrong?”

“You will be cold Stern-san”

The girl received another pat on the head as Stern smiled.

“It’s okay, you need it more than I do. Now, arms through the sleeves”

She commanded gently, the girl did not object anymore and followed her orders. After she got the coat all buttoned up Stern wrapped her scarf around the girl’s head so that only her eyes peeked out from behind the protective garment.
Andarkoshi is offline   Reply With Quote