View Single Post
Old 2008-11-17, 11:21   Link #36
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs in a Bottle View Post
Okay I'll do it much shorter this time, to ensure that this won't continue. I don't really like to argue mainly because I'm not too good at it, I'm like Jimmy Onishi scratching my head when I'm writing these posts, and I never know for which side of the argument I'm writing for, and yes I've been doing this for a while now on different forums and this is a very clear habit of mine.
Okay you believe in afterlife, you're the people who I call zealots, the perfect war machines, the more you believe in afterlife, the less you fear death. You seem to believe a bit, since oblivion is worse than anything. It is stupid for people to fear torture more than death. This is, when they are young. Old people having terrible diseases and then asking for it, I can understand.
Actually, I don't believe in an afterlife. I was just noting that most people did. But hey, way to respect other people's beliefs. So now anyone who believes in an afterlife is a dangerous, suicidal fanatic.

Quote:
That's because she's too young, her mind has been ehh *screwed* over by the life in the hospital, ever seen the anime Monster? Stuff like that, you know. She seems to believe that she could never ever feel happy again.
No, she believes that hospital life is unpleasant and would rather live free of it - even if it means her life will be shorter. Since she has much more personal experience with hospital and deadly diseases than I do, I'm inclined to believe her. Or at least that, to her, it's true. It's not like I'd throw the stone at someone making a different choice - for his or her own life.

Quote:
Okay I don't get it either.

Actually I do not have any other "reason of living" (like you would call it) than finding a girl and making babies. Lots of babies. I do not know why, but it is there.
That's a reason all the same. Not a very healthy one according to me, but whatever. I don't share it. She probably doesn't either.

Quote:
The girl is 13, most likely still in puberty from what I'm seeing and has never touched her sexuality probably. You see here's one main "reason of living" she could have. And since she believes she would still die in just a couple years after the surgery, the less she has this ideal too.
You want her to live for the sake of getting laid? Why?

Note that she's not a stranger to pleasure, or being in the hospital wouldn't make a difference.
Quote:
You're the one who made the mistake, not me.

Hey, it's all in your head. You could literally live in crap and feel happy, or you could be a typical rich white kid in the suburbs and feel like you are not even living. It's all in your head.
Everything is in our heads. So? The point is, she believes she'll be happier without the heart transplant. Why do you insist she's wrong?

Quote:
Somebody could have picked the gay thing out so I added that portion.
It's not even about the gay thing. The whole brick thing is out of nowhere. How does that argue for forcing a girl to have a heart transplant?

Quote:
Explained above. Also, this is not your feeling of duty, it IS your duty.
As you see it. Not everyone has to share your views.

Quote:
Breeding, that is. It is like army, you as a single person don't have to, but somebody else has to take your place then.
I do not believe we have any kind of duty to perpetuate ourselves. We do it because we want to, not out of "duty".

Quote:
Explained right above.
Your argument basically boils down to "because I say so". Not a very good one.

Quote:
It is achievable, they could come up with electronic brains the next day and have your stuff scanned and "save you" to some dirty server computer in California. Nothing is impossible.
Aliens coming down and saving her is more likely. Not something I'd want to bet on.

Quote:
She could be the one to break the 29 years record, but instead she just wants to give up.
That wouldn't be 30 years of health, that'd be 30 years of immuno suppressant and frequent hospital visits. And still not much in the way of long term plans.

Quote:
Thus she feels crappy, leading her to deep depression and unrational thinking.
You've so far failed to prove her choice was irrational, unless one accepts the premise that longevity trumps all other considerations.

Quote:

Tell that to him. 82.
He's doing it because he likes it, not because he's trying to distract himself from a deadly condition. And even so - that's just one guy liking something. What you're trying to argue is that anyone, given the chance, could live like that and be happy.

Quote:
Do you understand how long she would be at the hospital?
All her life, on and off.

Quote:
And staying at home for a couple years with a failing heart is your good life? Sure I understand that it is traumatic for her, but hey, it can't be that traumatic, I see a picture of them having a birthday party at the hospital.
That's one event. Not the daily grind.

Quote:
Maybe you should visit a private hospital someday.
If it doesn't smell of disinfectant I don't want to be treated there, and if it does I don't want to be there. Even if the food is better - the whole "people die there" and "doctors and nurses poke and prod you" won't change.

Quote:
Ledge that is COMPLETELY against my point,
Maybe you should explain your point better, then.

Quote:
I said people who feel inadequate as society members feel bad and don't realize that all the sick feeling is just coming from their feeling of inadequateness (bad looks, stupidity, mental violence from close-by people).
Right here, for example, I don't get what you're trying to say.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote