View Single Post
Old 2003-12-05, 15:02   Link #25
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitation
ooo rite lol thanx, i understand now ^_~
ooh...my screenshot is in two threads now! It's becoming famous.

Yeah...Linux is pretty customizable so, you can make it as command-line like or graphic as you like. Right there, I using KDE desktop environmet and running Opera (yes Opera has a linux version!!), xine (best video player ever!!), konqueror (file manager), and GAIM (Instant Messenger). For most of the most commonly used gui software in windows, you can find it's linux equivalent pretty easy. Granted some of the linux software doesn't have as many features as their windows competitors, but I don't use all those minute features in windows anyway.

Here's a rough list of what I use and how it compares to windows:
Media Player Classic/BS Player - Xine: Xine plays all video formats I use and playing ogm files is much easier than windows.
AIM/Trillian - GAIM: Gaim logs onto multiple IM providers. Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc. File transfer end of it still sucks but cool program.
Adobe Photoshop - The Gimp: The Gimp doesn't have nearly as many features as Photoshop nor is it as easy to do precisely what you wish. Still a superb photo editing program. Photoshop is basically the only reason I log into windows most weeks.
Internet Explorer/Opera - Konqueror/Opera/Mozilla I use Opera for everything and it's pretty much exactly the same as the windows version. Only complaint is no Linux Shockwave player support and no embedded video player use (i.e. for Quicktime streaming movies)
Winamp - XMMS Xmms player basically is Winamp. It's exactly the same and I love them both equally.
MIrc - Xchat I've never been particularly a fan of MIrc so, I'm liking Xchat better...you can set a transparent background in it...woohoo.

For ever program I've listed up here, there are also about 3+ alternatives being made somewhere. There is a lot to choose from.

So, yeah Grav, linux can be fairly user friendly and graphical software oriented (particularly in my case, as in above). Is it as user friendly as Windows? no. Is it more customizeable than windows. Yes. And in my case, I find it more stable.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote