Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-06, 12:51   Link #22394
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
Just leave it to the engineers who, you know, built them to run it. Don't make it a political operation, which they do anyway.

That's the problem, politicization.
An engineer - provided he doesn't overlook something, or make a mistake, which are always possibilities - can only give you a risks and possible benefits of various approach. How to weigh one against the other, however, is a political decision. If we don't believe that people, that voters, can accept risk when it's honestly presented to them like they're adults, then we don't believe in democracy. Maybe we can move to China or something.

One problem is that the political process if clogged by the lobbies. They're not necessarily intrinsically evil, but they do have too much power. Wasn't there an Onion article about a lobby for the common people? Maybe we need something like that...

Another is that, despite what I said, nobody really believes in letting people decide. Everyone, me included, always thinks he knows better than the sheeple he's surrounded with.

A third, more specific to this case, is that everyone likes cheap electricity, but nobody wants to live near a nuclear plant. (Except the guys who work there, I guess.)