View Single Post
Old 2009-08-15, 12:58   Link #3079
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Now for my question.

In anime and manga whenever someone is being interrogated, especially by the police, there is a bowl of I think some kind of pork udon. And someone is always like "Noooo! don't eat the food". It seems like if you eat it you are gonna confess.

My actual questions are:

1) what is the name of the dish served

2) why is it served during interrogations and what does eating it do?
In terms of the second, the previous answers may be correct but I'd imagine it's for something else. The most common one is that it's a source of temptation. This works in two possible but different ways:

1) The person is presented with something desirable/delicious, but if they reach for it then it will be moved away. The idea is that it's just within reach, but in order to get it they need to give the desired information. I don't believe this method is used in reality (because in order for it to work, the person under interrogation would have to be starved. That counts as torture, and if the interrogators are OK with using torture, I'm sure they'd prefer some more harsh, direct, quick methods). However, it works for comedic effect; seeing a big thug break down at the sight of a bowl of ramen is silly.

That's from a western standpoint.

2) From an eastern standpoint, it may be a bit different. That is, by accepting an offering from someone, you're indebted to them. By eating food offered by the police, you are honor-bound to give them something in return. Again, this is probably not a realistic scenario, but something used for somewhat comedic effect - nobody is going to rat out their accomplices over a bowl of ramen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Here is an F.Y.I for everyone. In the USA, and surely in other countries as well, the police will give you sodas and water during an interrogation. The reason they do this is because they want you to have to pee. It makes you nervous and uncomfortable. Therefore making it harder to lie when they ask the same question over and over because you will lose you concentration.
Never heard of this outside of movies, and a member of my family is a retired police officer. It may vary precinct by precinct, though.

Even if it were true, it matches up with the first explanation that I gave. Specifically, you need to use the bathroom, you're uncomfortable, you'll be relieved if you're allowed to urinate, and the police use that to tempt you to give the desired information. (Compared to: you're starving, you're uncomfortable, you'll be relieved if you're allowed to eat, and the police use that to tempt you to give the desired information.) Part of the reason I'm a bit doubtful that such methods are used (or at least, used commonly) is because it may amount to torture, which could get the police into very big trouble (at least in America).