View Single Post
Old 2010-11-29, 17:30   Link #107
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Since when was intent of portrayal a justification for anything? It is simply not good writing to have a character actually take a step backwards in character development 9 episodes into a series. It's simply ridiculous.

The writing of the story is almost objectively bad at this point.
I don't know if she's taking a step backwards.

But she is completely static as a character right now.

Even this wouldn't be so much of an issue except all the other major characters are getting meaningful character development, making Kirino's static nature stand out like a sore thumb.

At least it does to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

The irony to me is astounding because this episode made me more interested in everyone else but Kirino. How is that possible?
It's possible, in large part, because the other characters are actually getting serious character development. A character that changes and develops over time is almost inherently more interesting than a static character.

In any event, I agree with you.

I now watch Ore no Imouto for everybody except the titular Imouto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Hah, Kiirino, seems to have gotten so excited she needs to take a shower. Though it seems to disturb me that she's caring more about her eroge than other people which comes off as a big - that is even worse than her behavior towards others.

The lampshading is mildly funny, though a bit too blatant and unfortunately, nothing much really came out of it yet. But at least she learns that could be really annoying so it may take another episode to sink in. Hopefully it won't be glossed over.
I fear it will be glossed over.

Because I'm starting to get the impression that a big part of this anime is about experimenting with an all-tsun "tsundere" female lead.

I'll admit that the concept is daring, and novel.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's fun to watch in execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
How has Kirino taken a step backwards? I really don't see how you came to that conclusion. It's fairly obvious that the author purposely made Kirino the way she is especially if that person goes as far as having the very same character complain about another character in the same fashion as the audience. It's clever and hilarious if you ask me, it had me laughing. If you didn't get a kick out of it, then I'm sorry. There's simply nothing that can be done if you don't enjoy it or missed out on the hilarity.
But this isn't a pure comedy. There's a lot of drama in this.

Doing a joke that essentially is "Ha ha ha!!! Isn't it hilarious how tsun to the extreme our female lead is! And behold her getting a taste of poetic justice through her very own favorite past time! Ha ha ha!" kind of counteracts any desire to care about that character.

Like, if and when Kirino gets into trouble with her dad or Ayase or somebody else again, why should I care about her? The anime itself is going to great lengths to point out how nasty her behavior is. That kind of undermines any future drama that could depend on the viewer caring about Kirino.

Quote:
The writing is just fine,
Not for anything other than a pure comedy, it's not.

Quote:
...but you don't seem to want to change your opinion after this last episode did such a wonderful job at setting up some potential development.
What's the point of a wonderful set up if there's no payoff to it?